Menu
Jamie101
Tuning in
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving all email

Since this morning i have been randomly not receiving my emails until hours later,and then receiving some when i should, i can send emails without fault, i sent my self 3 emails two hours ago and still not received them, i was in the process of trying to bid for a house through email today and it completely **** up so i am very agitated about this, i have tried on my iphone app and also on the webite, i am not getting any error messages either

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receiving all email

I've asked the mods to remove your duplicate post.  If you could stick to starting a new thread if your posts not been answered rather than adding to someone else's willy nilly.

For reference it looks as if you may in part be being affected by this issue here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Delayed-delivery-of-incoming-e-mails/td-p/3872974

Although as you say you're not receiving all mails anyway I'd recommend logging in to web mail and making sure that the mails aren't in spam and that there are no unexpected filters set up to redirect your mail.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Jamie101
Tuning in
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Well what is strange is i recieved this email straight away saying there had been a reply, my webmail is the same as iphone app in not receiving, ive sent my self 3 emails two hours ago, one just came through at same time as this notification

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Personally my recommendation is that no one relies on an ISP mail as their main contact anyway.

While this mail may have gotten straight through it may have been just down to the internal path the mail took at Virgin Media's end.

I've just tried sending again and again my mails not gotten through to my inbox even though it was accepted at 20:13:39

Nov 14 20:13:39 box postfix/smtp[26200]: DD844120637: to=<myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk>, relay=mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11]:25, delay=6.4, delays=2.6/0.03/0.9/2.9, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 MXIN650 mail accepted for delivery ;id=N1XcgZv4W7Ph5N1XcgjYBH;sid=N1XcgZv4W7Ph5;mta=mx1.tb;d=20181114;t=211339[CET];ipsrc=77.68.89.100;)

I'll wait and see how long the mail takes to come through.

In the meantime it might be best to look at one of the delayed mails and post the results of a header analysis tool such as 

https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx - note that there is a link on the page explaining how to get the email headers.

I suspect it may reveal what Graham and I have found, but the more evidence we can gather for Virgin Media - the better.

Tim

0 Kudos
Jamie101
Tuning in
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

That seens very complicated, would it help any if i put it so all my emails were forwarded to my gmail account ???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Uncertain - possibly not, it depends whether the Mail exchangers themselves are responsible for forwarding the mail or whether one of the transport servers behind them does.

Tim

0 Kudos
Jamie101
Tuning in
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

So in your opinion, is this a VM fault that they might be in the process of fixing?? The thought of changing my email is horrific tbh

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@Jamie101 wrote:

That seens very complicated, would it help any if i put it so all my emails were forwarded to my gmail account ???

No because the forward rule is triggered on the message arriving in your inbox; if it is in your inbox then you can read it so there is no point to forwarding it.

@ravenstar68 wrote:

Personally my recommendation is that no one relies on an ISP mail as their main contact anyway.

Heed @ravenstar68 good advice and whilst it may seem daunting to switch to another email provider the advantages far outweigh the consequences of continuing to shackle yourself to an email service that is there only for as long as you use their broadband service.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@Jamie101 wrote:

So in your opinion, is this a VM fault that they might be in the process of fixing?? The thought of changing my email is horrific tbh

It's not an opinion - it's definitely a Virgin Media fault.

The headers Graham and I have pulled show the mails reaching Virgin Media's mail exchanger and then the delay happens between the exchanger and the next transport server on their mail platform.

Whether they are in the process of fixing it or not, I have no way of knowing.  I'm guessing not at present, although I'm hoping the mod team will pick up on this tomorrow.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

If anything the delay is getting worse.  I received an email exhorting me to get a lottery ticket.  It arrived in my inbox at 23.07, when the purchase window closes at 19.30 (AFAIK).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos