Menu
AlanD6805
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not Secure email

My ntlworld email address is showing as Not Secure no matter what email , in my Inbox, Sent etc, I have displayed. I have tried signing out and back in again to no avail. Has my account been hacked and how can I secure the account?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Not Secure email

@AlanD6805 

The first thing I'd ask is are you seeing images in the emails.

Most images in emails are linked from external web servers rather than actually being a part of the message itself.  Where these images use HTTPS there's not an issue, BUT if the images use HTTP links then this triggers the Not Secure warning in Chrome.  Furthermore, once trigerred, then the not secure warning stays up until you reload the page.

For example looking at two of my emails today.

One from Apple and one from Webhostingtalk - they both use HTTPS resources for their images, so when I click show images then webmail page still shows as secure,

However a third email from the Telegraph uses HTTP resources instead.  When I click the "Show Images" button, the site now shows as not secure.

The reason it's not secure is that while potential eavesdroppers can't see the majority of the connection, they can see the images that are being sent and possibly modify them.

If you click the Not secure message it will normally tell you what is wrong.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AlanD6805
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that seems to be the answer. I was thrown by the fact that the Not Secure message stayed on even when I was displaying an email without any pictures or links. Surely that could be fixed by VM or Chrome. But now that I understand what is happening I'll not worry so much!
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@AlanD6805 wrote:
…I was thrown by the fact that the Not Secure message stayed on even when I was displaying an email without any pictures or links. Surely that could be fixed by VM or Chrome. …

There is nothing to fix as it is correct behaviour to show the previously secure connection as Not secure once tainted by the fetching of mixed content.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'd tend to agree with @用心棒  it's annoying but it's not broken behaviour.

Tim

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos