Menu
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Non-SPAM Mailing List messages being filed as SPAM

Recently I stopped receiving my regular emails from a local club (newsletters, etc).  I found they had been going into the Spam folder of my IMAP account.  Has something changed recently, wrt mailing-list types of email?

Secondly, in what order are the Spam folder checks and the "user filter" checks done?   Can I avoid the above problem by adding a "user filter" specifying that certain strings in (eg) the Subject header get those emails filed away *before* the Spam-folder action?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Non-SPAM Mailing List messages being filed as SPAM

User filters are applied after the VM spam filter so would not help in this situation.  Adding the email address that the email comes from to your VM contacts list can help, but isn't always successful, especially if the senders email is not configured correctly to pass the current standards used by VM.  

See the sticky post at the top of the forum regarding bulk emails. Advice-for-sending-emails-to-Virgin-Media-domains 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham - the Advice document is dated 2019 but our problems only began in the last few weeks. What has happened is that VM's disposition header indicates "folder Spam" while the SPF result is accepted as before. The messages concerned come from/through a mailing list hosted by Mythic Beasts.

At roughly the same time as our club's announcements started being plonked into Spam, a marked influx of SPAM/scam emails are now being put into my INBOX folder.

I suspect someone has got the yes/no logic the wrong way around in a recent change. Any response from VM would be of interest!
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have asked the VM Forum Team to respond to this for you.  They should be able to get this investigated for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Graham - by the way the problem started between the 27th January and the 28th as far as I can see.
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi g4wsz,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear there's an issue in receiving some of your emails. 

Are you able to check your spam settings via webmail?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

Yes I checked a day or two ago and they are as I left them; with "Spam" (as judged by your filters) filed in my Spam folder.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming, 

Are you able to check if you receive the mails when not connected to our WiFi?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to check if you receive the mails when not connected to our WiFi?

I'm sorry Alex, that makes no sense (to  me).   My only view of my email folders is as they are stored on your IMAP servers.  Whether I view those via your webmail or via my email (IMAP) client they must look the same.  How can wifi make a difference?

To re-phrase my problem, messages from a mailing list that I have been receiving in my inbox for years have suddenly started to appear in my Spam folder instead.  The issue appears to me to be entirely down to a change made in your email service that is now categorising these emails as Spam.

This change happened around the 27th/28th January.

I understand that you don't actually run your own email service any more and will need to hand this over to them to diagnose further.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Platt

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi g4wsz,

Thanks for coming back to us.

My apologies for the delayed reply. Has this been sorted since posting? Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos