Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No new emails

Hello,

I lost access to my email accounts - now restored thanks to the help of the mod team - but my inboxes contain nothing newer than 12/7/19, and no new messages are coming through.

Help, please!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No new emails

You need to think this through carefully. Why did you lose access to your account? Likely because VM detected that it had been compromised and someone was using your credentials to send spam or do other nasty things with your account details. What do scammers and thieves always do?  They set up a filter in web mail (either autoforward or a normal filter) to divert your mail to them.  Look in web mail for filters you didn't set up and delete them. 

And  that advice comes direct from VM's appropriate helpfile here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, you're entirely right.

Someone had set up an autoforward for all my mail. I won't swear, but I'm thinking rude things very loud.

I really appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Send all your swear words to the address in the autoforward!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@challwilliams wrote:

Someone had set up an autoforward for all my mail.

There is one important point that I don't think is mentioned in the VM advice page that HowardML provided earlier.

Hacking your email account is often done so that the bad guys can scam any online accounts that have your VM email address as the contact address.   The hackers / scammers set up an autoforward on your email account so that you won't see the emails coming from your online accounts (such as Amazon and Ebay) in respect of fraudulent purchases they have made on your account.

I would strongly advise that you check your online accounts for suspicious activity and take action if necessary to  regain access and secure your online accounts.

Hopefully all is well but you do need to check any onllne accounts that have links with your email account..

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Actually it is covered in the VM article HowardML linked to.  Point 4 check autoforwards.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

Actually it is covered in the VM article HowardML linked to.  Point 4 check autoforwards.

That's good news. Just shows that I have got out of touch during my retirement from the forum. Smiley Happy

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Consider contacting the email domain operator, if reputable,  to alert them to the issue; either the recipient's account has been compromised or their service is being abused.

0 Kudos