Menu
Dave495
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No email access since thursday

I have had no virgin.net email access since thursday on pop3, webmail, or mobile. Password is correct as it is set to remember it in my browser. However, it keeps on saying:

"We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again."

The account is still there as it doesn't bounce back a test email from another account, but it doesn't let me in.

Virgin contact options are no good as they only ask for virgin account or phone number, which I haven't had for about 20 years! I only have the email address which I've used since it first began!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No email access since thursday

Then you have discovered that VM have done what they should have done a long time ago. VM mail is reserved for paying VM broadband customers. Lots of virgin.net addresses have subsisted for far longer than they should have. VM are getting round to closing them and denying further access. VM will not restore access. They will arrange it to ensure that the address is closed fully to ensure the process completes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dave495
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, that's a very rude and arrogant reply from someone who clearly has a chip on their shoulder!
You make several claims as 'statements' that you are clearly not qualified or authorised to make, and only based upon your personal views and guesses.
If you have nothing positive or useful to say, don't say anything!
And just so that those that read this post have some actual information, Virgin has not started to close down old accounts randomly without providing any notice to the users, they have just done an update or change without properly testing it first. It comes from the way they use agile methodology.
Continuing to delete old accounts that are no longer used is good practice that they regularly carry out, but deleting accounts that are regularly used and cost very little to maintain is poor customer relations and would be a lack of foresight if they actually decided to do it that way.
By continuing to provide email addresses to its original customers for so long Virgin has demonstrated loyalty to those that helped it build its initial user base, and without whom they may not have grown to be the company they are today. And by continuing to demonstrate that loyalty (at such little cost) it encourages those people to return to buy more products in the future with very little additional marketing spend. Much cheaper and more effective than trying to pursuade non-customers. Many of us previous customers have returned to buy Virgin products or services partly because of the continued connection to Virgin our email gives us.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Dave495 wrote:

And just so that those that read this post have some actual information, Virgin has not started to close down old accounts randomly without providing any notice to the users, they have just done an update or change without properly testing it first.

Sadly you are much mistaken there. 😮

Closing down Virgin.net email accounts that are no longer attached to a live broadband account has been an ongoing process by VM for a long time.

Here are just a couple of the many threads from people in the same position as yourself:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-email/m-p/4574291 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-Emails-disabled/td-p/4594650/page/2 

There have been many other similar cases and I cannot remember one of them reporting that they received any warning that their account was going to be deleted.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Dave495 

While I can understand the frustration with having no access to your emails I must ask that you remain respectful in your comments to other forum users on this thread.

All who comment do so with the intention of providing support for your issue with knowledge and experience gained over the years.

as @HowardML has advised due to you not having an active Virgin account the email address has therefore become in active. This is something that happens when closing the account, however in your case it has happened long after you closed the account. 

Now the email account has become in active this will unfortunately remain this way.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Dave495
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

hi Nathan,

regardless of whether the users of these old accounts are still customers or not, by allowing these old accounts to remain active for such a long period after the customer left Virgin you have entered into an informal but legal contract to keep them active until you provide the user with a reasonable notice period for their closure, such that the users can then take steps to make changes to accounts registered with these email addresses.

I have no problem if Virgin wishes to close these accounts, however I need a reasonable notice period so that I can make the changes necessary to accounts registered with this email address.
Please escalate this to your managers and legal team.

regards,
David.
0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave495, 

We understand your frustration caused by this matter and appreciate your feedback regarding the process. 

If you wish to raise a complaint regarding this process or the delay in this being actioned on the account, details on how to do so can be found here

Thank you

Nat