Menu
sillygoose
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No POP3 email connections

Since early this morning I am getting constant 'failed to connect to mail servers pop3.blueyonder.co.uk' from my client on all my Virgin (Blueyonder) accounts. Not a single connection at all. I can access webmail and see messages on the accounts and forwarders are working.

I have not changed anything my end, I am seeing that VM are fiddling with the email from posts here, anyone know anything that might have affected my POP3? usually I would wait until whatever it is  gets fixed as its not exactly a rare event on Virgin but I am concerned now the system has been changed so waiting will be pointless. Thank you.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No POP3 email connections

There does seem to be an intermittent fault with the pop3 server access.  I note you are still using the blueyonder server address, which is no longer recommended.  However, the fault seems to be affecting the viginmedia.com pop3 server as well so today is probably not a good time to try changing the server settings.

For future reference the recommended settings are here: Email-settings-change 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sillygoose
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I did switch to the new server back when the ports changed but from memory couldn't get it to work with my old Blueyonder addresses at the time so went back to the blueyonder server. I did try the virgin server setting this morning and still no joy. I guess its going to be another ones of those wait and see times.

Its always useful to get confirmation others are seeing some issues before I waste time my end which can't fix anything.

0 Kudos
Exorcist74
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

no good..look at date this was posted march 2017
0 Kudos
sillygoose
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, you lost me, you saying those settings are no longer applicable?
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I agree that there's an intermittent connection issue this morning. I'm experiencing it accessing ntlworld emails (via VM server), although it seems to be improving.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Exorcist74 wrote:
no good..look at date this was posted march 2017

March 2017 was the last time any changes were made to the recommended settings - so the link is still valid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ca1eb
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've had virgin.net address for 20 years now and no trouble at all with picking up mail through mail clients, first Outlook Express and now Thunderbird. Have used Thunderbird for at least 10 years.

From 4th August this year Thunderbird tells me it's unable to connect to virgin.net - the connection was refused. I have tried everything I know. I have just deleted my email account from Thunderbird and have tried to set it up again. No go. I can pick up mail direct from Virgin webmail but that's tedious. What is going on?

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ca1eb,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community, I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues accessing your mailbox. 

Can I check if you have an active Virgin broadband account?

If not, then you wouldn't be able to use the email service, you would have 90 days from the account closing in order to get your emails in order before the mailbox is closed.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Ca1eb
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Alex_RM.

I have never had a Virgin broadband account, so there wasn't anything to close. Does this mean that from now on I cannot use my long-established virgin.net email address?

0 Kudos