cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone, set up email and now webmail won't let me log in

RHogg
Tuning in

Hi,

I got a new phone the other day and have set up Outlook as normal and during this process changed password and also the code for logging in to my email account.  Webmail and Outlook all working fine.

Then this morning webmail Your email or password was incorrect. Please try again or go back to change your email. - I've used the googlemail email to log in, my virgin.net, tried every possible itteration of passwords and it won't work.

Webmail on my phone was also working until I logged out and now that route also will not work.

But Outlook remains fine.

I can't find any telephone numbers to talk this through with virgin media and the webchat is off line.

Help!

thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RHogg Email clients such as Outlook need the VM email address concerned as the username and the app generated password to access the email address.

Whereas access to VM webmail needs the third party username and associated password to login.  Are you using the correct combination to log into webmail?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes, so I have tried using my alternative email (gmail) that we had to move to as the login with the associated password and also my virgin.net email address and neither will let me log into the webmail.  Something has changed in the settings, I think - as the webmail on my phone was working (PC was not) this morning, up until I logged out of the session.  Now only the Outlook app will work.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM Forum Team staff should be able to help you with this when they reach this thread later today.

They will ask you to confirm that the virgin.net email address concerned is attached to your current VM broadband account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi RHogg 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting. Welcoming you with big virtual arms onto our community forum 😊.

Sorry to see the email will not work and thank you for trying another device.

So I can look into this, I will be private messaging you.

Please watch out for the envelope ✉.

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

RHogg
Tuning in

Yep, what it says. Been using this email address literally forever. Works on Outlook app, won't work on webmail.

VM solution as stated. 30 days to save anything important then gone forever. No warning.

Just in case you're wondering what is up with your email

I have answered your post regarding this in another thread. The important point is this, are you a current VM broadband customer? If not, as hinted at in the message you posted in the other thread, then yes VM probably are in the process of deleting your mailbox, not sure where the 30 days has come from, probably just something they made up on the spot.

Not sure who you are, Vinegar. But I can assure you VM have quoted me 30 days to get out of dodge, for no reason and no warning.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Are you currently a VM broadband customer?

No.

I've had this email account for over 20 years, I think. But can't remember if I've ever had a Virgin product. Maybe it was my first mobile phone... can't remember!

Everything worked fine til a new phone meant setting up again this week.