cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New email account issue

Maesknoll
Tuning in

I have set up a new email account - long time customer with several other email accounts that work perfectly well.

The new account will not load into outlook - just does not recognise it.  I have spoken to Tech Support who say the account is working their end.  When I look at the account in my VM, there is no email address shown in the 'Services for this account section below the password change option.  All other accounts have an email address here.  Tech support said try changing the password and they'd never heard of this issue before.  I was very sceptical that changing the password would work - and it didn't.

Anyone come across this before and the fix?

Maesknoll_0-1650103313126.png

TIA

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Maesknoll wrote:

Anyone come across this before and the fix?

I have not seen that before. On the face of it what you are seeing seems to show there is a serious problem with the email account and that something has failed or not completed in the email account set up process. If that is the case, it will need action from VM to fix it.

On the other hand, I have seen myself that the information in that "Services" section cannot always be trusted to be 100% reliable.

I would check a couple of things to try to ascertain the actual state of play with that account:

1) Send a test email to that new address (from another email account) and see if you get an error message back saying that the email could not be delivered. That error will come back within a couple of minutes if it's coming.

If you do get an error back that suggests the email address does not exist or at least is completely inaccessible even though Tech Support say the account is "working their end".

Actually, as a double check on that you could enter the address here https://verify-email.org/  and see if it comes up with "Ok" or "Bad". ("Bad" effectively means it does not exist.)

2) Use this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/    to sign into the VM webmail account for that email address. Enter the email address and password and see if you can access the account and see the test message you have sent or whether just get  an error message.

If you can access the account in webmail that suggests there is some issue with the settings in Outlook that is preventing Outlook from accessing the mailbox.

It would be interesting to see what results you get.

If those checks, ( particularly 1) show you cannot access the email account there is clearly something seriously amiss. At the very least you will have more ammunition to use when contacting VM.

At the end of the day the answer may be simply to give up with that address and set up another one. However, I would not recommend that at the moment because the underlying problem may be that there is a fundamental issue with your VM account that for some reason prevents you setting up any new email accounts.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the response

Maesknoll_0-1650260875250.png

2. Nothing to this account in webmail inbox.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Maesknoll wrote:

Maesknoll_0-1650260875250.png

Is that still the same result that you get if you try again today? The "TransientNetworkFault" error is one I have not seen before from the email verifier, That normally comes up with  "MailboxDoesNotExist"  That does suggest that there is a problem at the VM end with that account.

Regarding the Webmail result. If you could sign directly into that Webmail account with the new email address and password it seems to suggest that part of the new email account set up process has worked but it's not accessible to the outside world. 

You do not mention getting any error messages back when you sent the test email to the new account, which again is strange,

I have escalated this to the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) but I think they will need to pass it on to the Technical Team to resolve. It's not something I would expect first line support to be able to resolve,

One of the Forum Team will contact you via this thread and take your details via a Private Message.

Kind regards

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Maesknoll,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I'm really sorry that you're having issues with a newly created email account, I will look into this further for you but would need to confirm a few details over via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @Maesknoll, I have raised this issue with our IT support team, who will investigate this issue and it can take up to 5 working days to be resolved, I will be in touch with you as soon as I have any further updates. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hey @Maesknoll,

The support team have got back to me today and confirmed that they have updated the back tables on our system and the email address should be fully working, you should now be able to use email clients.

Please could you give this a try and let me know, how it goes.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,   

Many thanks, I had to go in and change the password, but after that its all set up and working, really appreciate your help with this.

Regards

Chris

Great to hear it's working Chris, 

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Alex_Rm