Menu
Highlighted
hagrace
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Network password error

Why can't I send emails from Spain? My email was working perfectly in Spain when I got a network password authentication request, following which I could no longer send emails. When I return to UK the email works properly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network password error

Hi hagrace, welcome to our community and thanks for posting.

I am sorry you've been having issues with accessing your email whilst abroad.  Can I ask if you've been having this issue on a PC/Laptop or have you been trying to sign in on a mobile or tablet?  Also if this was on your mobile, were you experiencing the same issue when trying via mobile web/data and WiFi?

Is the email address in question a Virgin Media allocated email address? For example, virginmedia.com , blueyonder or ntlworld.com

Please get back to us and we can investigate this further.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
hagrace
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Lee.

The Network authentication request came through when using the Laptop, but following that we could not access on the Samsung tablets or the phones. gmail worked but blueyonder (virgin) did not? All worked when we returned to UK!

Thanks 

Hilary

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me hagrace

I have made some enquiries. There's no reason as to why you should not have been able to access your blueyonder email address.  When you were trying to access on your phone can I ask if you you were doing this on WiFi via your mobile data?

You mentioned you have a 3rd party email address as well.  To avoid this situation potentially re-occurring would you consider taking the option to get all your emails from your blueyonder email address forwarded to your 3rd party?  It would mean that you never miss an email, but also I don't know if you're aware, but if you ever were to leave Virgin Media, the maximum time your email address would remain active after you disconnected would be 90 days and then the mailbox would cease.

Please do get back to me.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
hagrace
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We tried on wi fi . We had perfect access prior to the network authentication request and have been using the same connection since the beginning of the year without problem. As the alternative email worked it would appear to be an issue with blueyonder. It is obviously not an issue with the settings on one of the devices as none of thenm worked. I am not particularly savvy 're networks etc.  but noticed an old post from someone in Spain with a similar problem?

Thanks 

Hilary

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think we need to look at a more subtle explanation of what is going on here. Over the years we have answered several questions about using VM e-mail when sending from outside the UK.

The first thing to say is that trying to use VM mail on anything other than web mail is fraught with difficulty. While it should work with standard e-mail programs it often doesn't. The most common error seen relates to the very strict limits that VM sets for sending mail from non-VM IP addresses outside the UK. This is an anti-spam measure to protect the VM network from serious and easily accomplished abuse.  These sending limits are low enough as it is when abroad, but in countries known to be the source of spam they are lower still. They will restrict mail on hourly and daily basis. They do not apply to web mail because that is not so easily manipulated to send spam.

The second issue is one of incorrect settings. Sending from non-VM IP addresses requires absolutely that you use these server and authentication settings and no others. The send must be authenticated using the  correct e-mail address and password or it could fail.  The settings are here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains

Finally there is a new development on the scene which will produce exactly the error that was seen in this case if you use the VM SMTP (outbound mail servers).  VM will check the sending IP address against the Spamhaus SBLCSS list and if it finds that the IP address is a source of low level snowshoe spam it will deny you the right to relay the mail.  Your e-mail program will respond with with an error message that asks for the username name and/or password because that is how it interprets (incorrectly as it turns out) the response from the VM server - the infamous VM305 error which it cannot properly understand so it throws up the error it does!

So what is the answer. Well it is simple -  if you are going to use VM mail always use it via VM web mail when you are outside the UK. You may not like it but it works. You will also find as @Lee_R says that other non-ISP mail services like GMail and Outlook.com also work better in their web mail format and so temporarily forwarding your VM mail to one of those might help. 

I speak from personal experience as well. I use VM web mail when I'm in France or the US. But I have very little traffic on that service.  And I use one of the non-ISP mail services as my main e-mail service throughout the world. Never have a day's trouble on a PC, laptop or mobile phone.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

hagrace
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,  that is very helpful I will use webmail in future. 

0 Kudos