Menu
cucongs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Need to delete old virgin.net email account

My old virgin.net email address has been hacked and is sending spam to my contacts. How can I delete the account? I'm no longer a VM customer. Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to delete old virgin.net email account

You won't be able to close down the email account yourself. The Forum Team should be able to arrange closure for you, they can ensure that the deletion process is completed properly and quickly. Keep an eye on this thread, one of them should contact you here but you'll have to be patient - it might take several days depending on their workload and on the Christmas break. Don't be tempted to phone it in - that way madness lies!

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
cucongs
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your very helpful advice, especially about not phoning! I'll watch this space. Happy Christmas 🙂

SDC
Super solver
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@cucongs wrote:

Thank you for your very helpful advice, especially about not phoning! I'll watch this space. Happy Christmas 🙂

And a Merry Christmas to you too!

Just one thing though... although I'm flattered that you have marked my response as "Helpful", the weird-and-wonderful system here uses that to mark the whole thread as "Solved" which means that the Forum Team are more likely to overlook it. The thread will get better exposure if its "Solved" status is removed. You can do that - go to the post options in one of your posts here and select "Unmark as helpful answer". Feel free to re-mark it as "Helpful" later when the issue is actually resolved to your satisfaction. For saying "thanks" it's better to use the "Kudos" option - that doesn't invoke "Solved" status.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

FYI, if this is not your primary email address for virgin.net then sign into My Virgin Media > My Profile > Manage accounts with the primary email address authentication credential and delete it from there; if you see a “Sorry, we have a problem” message it is likely you signed in with a secondary email account.

0 Kudos
cucongs
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. It is my primary email address (I didn't have any secondary ones), which should have been closed 90 days after I ended my VM contract in August 2017. I didn't use the address after this date so was surprised to find that it's still live. Friends have recently alerted me to the fact that they're receiving unpleasant spam from my old virgin.net address. I can't sign in to VM because I no longer have any accounts with them. I'm hoping that the Forum team will be able to close down the account. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi cucongs,

Apologies for the delayed response - Xmas is to blame for that 🙂

I shall be happy to arrange for closure of your old email address - just reply to my PM (purple envelope, top right) with the requested information and I'll sort this out.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

cucongs
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All sorted by Jen from the Forum Team. The rogue address no longer exists. Many thanks! 

Tbunnykins
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have an old virgin.net email which I haven't been able to access for 5 years but all the spam is being forwarded to my new account. Can you please delete it asap as this is driving me mad? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tbunnykins

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community. Sorry to hear you are having email issues, there is nothing worse when you inbox is being inundated with spam emails.

Can we ask if you and existing customer with Virgin? We can look in to this further for you and see if we can help with this email issue.

So I can look at your account I will pop your over a private message. Click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Many thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos