Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Need help re setting up mail accounts on my MacBook air

Hello everyone, a few days ago I found I couldn't send emails from my ***@ntlworld.com account on  my MacBook air. All was fine on the webmail, so I contacted Apple helpline.  They checked the settings and had a look at all sorts of stuff and when nothing helped, directed me to delete the account which I did.  Then I found I couldn't set the account up again, mail on my mac, doesn't recognise the email account though it which works fine on the webmail.

What am I missing, how can I fix this?  Has anyone else had this?

Warmest wishes, Madeleine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need help re setting up mail accounts on my MacBook air

Is the reason it cannot be setup again caused by Mail not being able to verify the account settings?

To help troubleshoot the issue open a Terminal and enter the following commands:

export HISTCONTROL=ignorespace\`
 curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | grep "235\|VM"​ 

where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, for example richard.branson@virginmedia.com :Y54kpX5g

Post the result output here making sure first to redact any personal information.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes thank you that was the error message I was getting.  This morning I was looking for help in another area and by chance, came across 'support.mail.com' offering guidance about setting up email accounts on Apple devices, had a look through and their advice was, once the usual info had been entered, to then hold the alt key down when pressing 'sign in'.  This was news to me so I tried it and it worked.  

My email accounts have been reinstated, all working well.  Such a tiny point but the Apple experts didn't offer that, I'm so relieved and soooo happy it's now sorted. Hurrah!

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions.  I had noticed the advice you offered to others and had tried that, but it didn't work 

Warmest wishes

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Stumped as to what difference the pressing of the Alt key makes to the process but good to read you solved the issue.

0 Kudos