Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Need help closing old NTL email

Hi I need to close an old NTL email - we haven't used it in 7 years but recently had a letter saying it had been hacked, we duly checked it out and sure enough it had, I deleted everything on there all contacts all emails etc and changed the password. But I don't need it and would like it to be shut completely. We rang virgin but they say we can only close it if we cancel our account. We don't want to do that as we use the broadband. Can anyone tell us how to shut it down please PERMANENTLY

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need help closing old NTL email

The implication from your post is that the email account concerned is your primary username for the Virgin Media broadband account.  As such it cannot be deleted without closing the underlying account.

If VM were to stick to their stated terms and conditions the mailbox associated with the email address should have been deleted after 150 days of non access.

This would leave the email address as your username only with no ability to send or receive emails from it.  Perhaps the @ModTeam can ask the IT department to ensure that this part of the T&Cs is adhered to and get the mailbox deleted for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm so basically we are stuck with it and have to hope it is not hacked again.   We were told that it should have been closed after 90 days but it is now 7 years later. So frustrating

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mailboxes that are not accessed should be suspended after 90 days and then deleted after a further 60 days if no attempt is made by the user to stop the process.  This has clearly failed in your case, so let us see what the staff team name of the situation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey pigginnut,

Sorry to hear that your mailbox hasn't been deleted. Is this your primary mailbox for your account with us? As @Graham_A mentioned above the primary email address of any account cannot be deleted.

I will pass the feed back from this onto the team as mentioned above.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It was the main email when we signed up yes, im just surprised in this day and age that it seems so difficult to be able to just give a new email and delete the old

0 Kudos