Menu
steve-salmon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Nationwide eMails not received

Just read the O2 message stream and I have a similar circumstance.

Since March I have not been receiving mails from Nationwide. They tell me that this because my "e-mail has a private domain".

One solution, Nationwide help desk suggested, is to add them to a whitelist. So does Virgin Media mail have this facility?

Their alternative solution was to use an alternative e-mail provider.

Reading the O2 thread I have no doubt that setting up and using Gmail would get round this problem but ....

What did Virgin Media do around March to cause this problem because I did receive e-mails previously?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nationwide eMails not received

@steve-salmon wrote:

Since March I have not been receiving mails from Nationwide.

Some interesting statements there.

"They tell me that this because my "e-mail has a private domain"."   So you are not using a Virgin Media email address as your contact for Nationwide? Is that the case?

Forgive me for saying this but that response from Nationwide sounds as if they are just fobbing you off.😮

Using a private domain address is not an intrinsic problem. In fact my contact email address for Nationwide is a private domain and I have no issues receiving emails from them.

"One solution, Nationwide help desk suggested, is to add them to a whitelist. "  well that's more fobbing off. Unless the agents at Nationwide have looked at the error messages they get back when they send you a message or examined their outgoing email logs to track their emails to you then any solutions they offer are  just random ideas.

"So does Virgin Media mail have this facility?" Well they probably do.but the problem is that will only be applicable to emails with VM domain addresses, (virginmedia.com, blueyonder.co.uk and ntlworld.com for example).

Having said that, how are you managing your incoming private domain emails? Are you using your hosting company's own  imap / pop3 and smtp servers to send and pick up your emails?. Or are you using an email forwarding service provided by your hosting company? Email forwarding is becoming more problematic as more organisations implement anti spoofing measures. 

In principle, if incoming emails to your private domain are failing to arrive then your first port of call should be to your domain hosting company.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

steve-salmon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am slightly in awe of your knowledge/questions so let me do it at my level.

The e-mail address ends @ntlworld.com and has been for several years.

I am an Apple user and pick up my mail through the standard Mail app as supplied with OSX. I am currently running Big Sur.

Although from today I will use the VM email portal directly. I think the problem is between the sender and VM as they did talk about messages being "bounced because of being 'blocked' which suggests it's something in the email that is causing the block". As they created the email I would expect that the problem is from their end.

I have not had any problems until recently and only know about the Nationwide problem as they have resorted to snail mail to contact me with a message saying they are having problems reaching me by email.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@steve-salmon 

It would help if you could get Nationwide to provide you a copy of one of the following:

Bounce message

or email logs showing the delivery attempt.

In theory VM could whitelist the hosts that Nationwide send emails from, but typically they'd be loathe to do that unless absolutely necessary.  You could check the following:

1.  Log in to webmail and check for any filter rules that may have been added to either reject or redirect any Nationwide emails.
2.  Again in Webmail, check your spam settings aren't set to reject spam.
3.  Again in webmail - check your spam folder to see if any of the missing mail has ended up there.

From what I've read so far, I don't think 1,2 or 3 will apply BUT, it's always best to double check.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
steve-salmon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim,

Indeed I do not filter out Nationwide mails, and they're not in the Spam box.

The only reason I know they have been sent is Nationwide have started sending me snail mails with a clear message that they cannot send me emails as they are being bounced back to them.

I believe the bounce occurs at VM rather than in transition to my local mail.

I am beginning to think this is more Nationwide's problem than mine.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@steve-salmon wrote:

Thanks for the extra information,

If the email address that Nationwide are sending to is an @ntlworld.com I wonder what they meant when they said your address 'had a private domain'?

Re your comment "Indeed I do not filter out Nationwide mails" I would just ask whether you have actually checked in your Webmail account to ensure that a filter has not been set? We have seen that done by hackers to hide their activity on their victim's email account.

As I said, i have been using an email address with my own domain name as my contact address with Nationwide for many years. the last email  I received from them was on the 12th May.

To test out whether VM are blocking Nationwide's emails I have now changed my contact address to my ntlworld email address. Unfortunately Nationwide  do not seem to send out verification emails, they use OTP codes sent by text message to confirm it is the customer making the change.Therefore I will have to wait until the end of this week.to see if the next regular one comes through as usual.

@ravenstar68    Tim,  here are the message headers from Outlook for my last email from Nationwide in case they offer any insight.

Coenoby

X-Spam-Flag: NO

Received-SPF: pass (mail101c50.megamailservers.eu: domain of bounce-240575_HTML-504003695-25586565-1304473-235@bounce.nationwide-communications.co.uk designates 199.122.127.111 as permitted sender) receiver=mail101c50.megamailservers.eu; client-ip=199.122.127.111; helo=mta.nationwide-communications.co.uk; envelope-from=bounce-240575_HTML-504003695-25586565-1304473-235@bounce.nationwide-communications.co.uk; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;

Authentication-Results: mail101c50.megamailservers.eu;

dkim=pass (1024-bit key) header.d=nationwide-communications.co.uk header.i=nationwide@nationwide-communications.co.uk header.b="jXRhPl9Y"

X-Envelope-From: bounce-240575_HTML-504003695-25586565-1304473-235@bounce.nationwide-communications.co.uk

Return-Path: <bounce-240575_HTML-504003695-25586565-1304473-235@bounce.nationwide-communications.co.uk>

Received: from mta.nationwide-communications.co.uk (mta.nationwide-communications.co.uk [199.122.127.111])

by mail101c50.megamailservers.eu (8.14.9/8.13.1) with ESMTP id 14CDC3gn030123

(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 bits=256 verify=NO)

for <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.uk>; Wed, 12 May 2021 13:12:07 +0000

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; s=200608;

d=nationwide-communications.co.uk;

h=From:To:Subject:Date:List-Unsubscribe:List-Unsubscribe-Post:MIME-Version:

Reply-To:List-ID:X-CSA-Complaints:Message-ID:Content-Type;

i=nationwide@nationwide-communications.co.uk;

bh=CNgt6Nx0rkZdzCWU+l6MXX9ON8Hg9Fs3u6PmVN+Ukb4=;

b=jXRhPl9YLwpxyzFRojHK2dIvAHL0biJB50DtSer6DMcTUG9UabhOaSD9CVMe+sooKAHg4u1Fob2y

9DqNWXN4bKgg36p0tsPkF9VDjFR7kXRutQhriwCUnn0NqWJiZIGy8BfSYyezCYhNv2+lhiT6UpMx

gxGI5VRd84ep/umdWGk=

Received: by mta.nationwide-communications.co.uk id hjfa2e2fmd4p for <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.uk>; Wed, 12 May 2021 13:12:02 +0000 (envelope-from <bounce-240575_HTML-504003695-25586565-1304473-235@bounce.nationwide-communications.co.uk>)

From: "Nationwide Building Society" <nationwide@nationwide-communications.co.uk>

To: <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.uk>

Subject: XXXX, here's your May Newsletter

Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 07:12:02 -0600

List-Unsubscribe: <http://click.nationwide-communications.co.uk/subscription_center.aspx?jwt=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cC...>, <mailto:leave-fcb41674756103781a4c342838-fe2f11707164047e731d75-fe551675706c02787311-fe9915737560007a76-ff65167370@leave.nationwide-communications.co.uk>

List-Unsubscribe-Post: List-Unsubscribe=One-Click

x-CSA-Compliance-Source: SFMC

MIME-Version: 1.0

Reply-To: "Nationwide Building Society" <reply-fe551675706c02787311-240575_HTML-504003695-1304473-235@nationwide-communications.co.uk>

List-ID: <1030010.xt.local>

X-CSA-Complaints: csa-complaints@eco.de

X-SFMC-Stack: 4

x-job: 1304473_25586565

Message-ID: <484af931-f4be-4d3a-ae76-b1b58789ec1f@las1s04mta1155.xt.local>

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="ti6oCRRtHGkU=_?:"

X-CSC: 0

X-CHA: v=2.3 cv=dMrYZ9Rb c=1 sm=1 tr=0 b=1 cx=a_idp_f

a=Ab4amb+cF+l9nhmEOZe13A==:117 a=Ab4amb+cF+l9nhmEOZe13A==:17

a=fGYPQxYm8b8A:10 a=5FLXtPjwQuUA:10 a=fmD_JHji_u0A:10

a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=fjz6aP84AAAA:8 a=6IURtx5BY8eVjkL4BvYA:9

a=QUJb1qmgCcGFj8wk:21 a=uiiqfU_dTBCkI1hA:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10

a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=wGtqpNa5AAAA:8 a=RO5ERS8Z3j4QQFEIhpYA:9

a=3xtlNZgm3yEXo+T05C31pup2r18=:19 a=kW5mWgqCN98i1i0i:21

a=DY4pypDzPmAum8N7:21 a=NSd0YN-fu5bZiCl5:21 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10

a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=E-cp4WLsjzwA:10 a=HmmoSNOVi_V_YNrTyJQK:22

a=jQlnPk0wOPhhJkI65E4-:22 cc=prm

X-Origin-Country: US

X-WHL: LR

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby 

Nothing jumps out at me.

SPF and DKIM both pass - so even if the mail was forwarded - It would pass DMARC checks.

Tim

steve-salmon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The only "Rule" I have set is If not in my contacts send to Junk which has been in operation for years.

I have blocked some mails,  'Enable blocked mail filtering' in Junk Mail, and have check that Nationwide is not inadvertently included.

Do you think it is worth turning of the Junk Mail block?Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 09.14.46.png

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@steve-salmon wrote:

The only "Rule" I have set is If not in my contacts send to Junk which has been in operation for years.

I have blocked some mails,  'Enable blocked mail filtering' in Junk Mail, and have check that Nationwide is not inadvertently included.

Do you think it is worth turning of the Junk Mail block?

Yes, I would definitely suggest disabling all your filters for the moment.

By the away did you check the spam settings in your VM Webmail as per Tim's earlier post?

"2. Again in Webmail, check your spam settings aren't set to reject spam."

Sign in to Webmail (the VM portal) and follow steps 1 to 4 as below:

spam settings.png

The default setting should be "Move message to spam folder". If it is set to "reject all spam" that might be an explanation as to why emails from Nationwide are bouncing back.

Also, while I'm here, I think I have confused you by my reference to "forwarding" emails. Just to clarifiy, your ntlworld.com emails are not being forwarded to your phone.

In simple terms, the email app uses your email address and password  to gain access to your ntlworld account and then downloads them to your phone. That means that when you check your emails via the Mail app  your inbox will show exactly what you see when you sign in to your account in VM Webmail (the VM portal).

So, please feel free to continue using the Mail app on your phone.😉

Coenoby

0 Kudos
steve-salmon
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I did not know where the eMail settings were on VM.

I have checked and I do have the Move to Spam folder as the only setting. Obviously the default.

Actually I do not forward mail to my phone but read all mail on my laptop.

It's a real mystery.

0 Kudos