Menu
deedubbleyoo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

NTLWorld email account decommissioning

Hi, I used to be a VM customer and was provided with an NTLWorld email account, which I also used to make sub accounts.

I did receive notification that VM was closing all NTLWorld accounts but mine kept working and continues to receive emails, today.

Normally I would ask for my account to be deleted and leave it at that, but given that my wife receives ongoing details about somebody else's account, despite notifying VM, I have little confidence in VM to actually kill my old NTLWorld account off properly - in fact, why they haven't shut NTLWorld down completely suggests that there are concerns within VM about how to go about doing this properly. Maybe there are security concerns if VM close the services down?

Personally, I don't want to use my NTLWorld account any more but I don't want it to stay there collecting emails that were sent for my attention, so if the account is deleted I want to see the logs that prove it. That isn't too hard from a technical point of view but have VM got the capability to manage this from a practical point of view?

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTLWorld email account decommissioning

@deedubbleyoo wrote:

Personally, I don't want to use my NTLWorld account any more ............., so if the account is deleted I want to see the logs that prove it

Experience on this forum shows that VM often do not completely close the email accounts of ex customers.Your situation is one that comes up quite often.

However, once such a case is raised here the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) do a good job of ensuring that these accounts do get fully deleted. One of them will pick up on your post in the next week and contact you via this thread. They will then get the necessary information from you via a Private Message - don't post the email address here.

I have no idea if it is possible to get copies of the logs to prove your account has been fully deleted. Personally, I don't trust logs I would prove to it myself. 😉

Once I was advised the account had been deleted I would enter my old email address here https://verify-email.org/  and make sure I got a "Mailbox does not exist" response.

To make doubly sure you could send an email to the old address to check that you get a bounce back message from mailer-daemon@virginmedia.com saying that the email could not be delivered and giving the error message 

550:550 5.1.1 <oldaddress@ntlworld.com>... User unknown       (or     ......User does not exist)

You can then be certain the account will not trouble you anymore.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

deedubbleyoo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I will ask for logs. Testing by using any means to tell you if the address works does not indicate deletion of any account, it merely tells you that something relating to the account has been disabled, but that can be achieved a number of ways.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@deedubbleyoo wrote:

I will ask for logs.

No problem asking is there? 😉

I am just a pragmatist. If I can prove to myself no one can successfully send an email to my old email account I am happy.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos