Menu
doddy1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NTL world email has been hacked

Hello,

Believe I need some help from the virgin help team please.

My old ntlworld email appears to have been hacked. I can no longer access my account as it says my credentials have been changed.

Please can you help with this as I have already had my amazon account and Netflix account hijacked as a result of this.

Thanks,

Luke.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL world email has been hacked

Hi Luke.

Are you a VM broadband customer and is the ntlworld address linked to that account? answer that and we can go onto the next stage.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
doddy1
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Howard,

I used to be a VM customer, but I am not anymore.

Thanks, 

Luke

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Luke

Then you probably will mostly dislike what I have to advise.

You have no right to use VM e-mail. Only VM broadband customers have that right. Your ntlworld address should have been closed when you left VM. Unfortunately VM left a lot of these live and, unsurprisingly, people have continued to use them.

The only help you will get from the VM Forum Team here is help to close the address permanently. You will not get any help to access it as you have no right to such access.

It is problematic to discuss a possible work round to restoring access but if you log in via web mail and use the forgotten password link to reset the password you might just be lucky. This will only work if you can remember the answer to the security question you'll be asked and the hackers have left this untouched. You may have to enter the answer in uppercase letters. 

If that doesn't work, wait here for the VM Forum Team to pick up this thread (up to a week) and help you get the address deleted. That is really it. I guess the address credentials were changed by the hackers. 

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi doddy1. 

Thanks for messaging us. 

The email account would be disconnected within 90 days of disconnection and when logging in on the home page it will not allow any access as this is a former account. 

Can you try logging in at mail.ntlworld.com please. If you are unable to log in after this there will be nothing much which can be done. 

Kind Regards

Chris_W1

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisT_W1 you need to get the account deleted if its been hacked and is being used to reset passwords on other services.

@ModTeam flag this one as it needs deleting

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@doddy1 

Try the Forgotten password link as suggested by Howard, if you still can't get in post back.

@Jen_A  - can you take a look at this please?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@doddy1 

I stand completely by the advice I gave you in relation to your issue. I have made my position clear to VM Team management about the advice you got from the VM Team member who replied to your post. It is plainly inaccurate and inadequate. I hope VM will correct it today and arrange to delete the ntlworld address that is causing you so much trouble. I don't work for VM but  VM have decided to endow a group of us with the rank of Superuser because we are capable of providing excellent advice as often the first responders in cases like this.  I do my best to fulfil the trust that has been placed in me. I have not broken that trust in your case.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi doddy1,

We can get the email account totally removed for you to prevent any further issues. Please reply to my my PM (purple envelope top right) with the requested information and I'll get back to you.

Regards Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team