Menu
mandz222
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

NTL email password change

Hi,

I have an ntlworld email account which I still use, but I need to change the password for it. I have tried calling but the IT department just kept telling me I could do it online, which I can’t. It doesn’t show on my account as it used to be linked to my dads account. I know it’s classed as an orphaned account but didn’t know if there was any way to transfer the account to me as I can still access it and use it? 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL email password change

Of course it won't show on your account as it is not your e-mail address. It belongs to your father's account and if he still has that account it will show there. He has the right to delete it if he wants and to change the password if he wants.

However that shouldn't stop you changing the password as it is a secondary account, but this will only work if the primary account in your father's name is still in existence. If it is you can log in to My Virginmedia using your e-mail address and the existing password and then change the password.

If the primary account no longer exists, then that's it for you. All VM will do is to delete the address, if you ask them to. In any event when they discover that it is not linked to a primary account (which they will do eventually) it will be deleted without warning.

And you probably can't have the address transferred to you. As we understand it VM will now only do this where the old account and the new account belong to the same person, for example when a person moves home.

Shows you the disadvantage of using secondary accounts where you don't have full control.  Get yourself a non-ISP related e-mail address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is your dad's account still open?  It sounds like probably not from your wording.

There is a slight chance that a Move & Transfer may be possible.  This would move all the addresses from the old account to your current account and would wipe out any addresses already on your account.  Normally the account holder has to be the same on both accounts, but I understand there are exceptions to this sometimes provided both parties can clear security.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello mandz222

I am happy to take a look to see what we can do from our side

However to be honest as already advised we may not be able to get this sorted 

Let me know if you wish for me to have a look 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
mandz222
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth_L,

If it can't be sorted then that's fine, I would just like to double check first as I use the email for everything at the moment. So if you could have a look that would be great, thank you. What details do you need from me?

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mandz222

I have sent you a private message for the relevant details 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello mandz222

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you 

Can you please try the email account now 

You may need to reset the password first though 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
mandz222
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth_L,

The email address still isn't showing on my virgin account, so I cannot reset the password.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi mandz222

The email was linked to as former account which was disconnected when you opened up a new account. 

Bad news is the email was cancelled as it should have been done so after 90 days of an account being closed.

I did try to bring it over but its not possible anymore 

Sorry 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
mandz222
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth_L,

Has it been closed with immediate effect? Thank you for trying anyway 🙂

0 Kudos