Menu
AnnCamilla
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

NTL email not working at all

Last week my ntlworld email stopped working. I called 150 and a technician told me my POP settings were old fashioned and to use IMAP. He changed my password for me and I saw the emails flood in. Alas I couldn't reply/send as I discovered the next day. So I called 150 and went round and round the subject without any conclusion. I need to work, so rang 150 again the next day and was told there was a problem at Virgin's end and to wait 24-48 hours (over last weekend). Monday arrived, I can't receive or send emails. So I called 150. Have to say that I could hardly understand anything that was said as I'm not very good with accents. But I told him I've had an ntl email for a couple of decades and that I work on a Mac which dates back to 2014. He didn't know what a Mac was until I mentioned the word Apple. We went to the mail on the website (masses of it), we went through all the settings in Apple Mail some boxes of which are not the same as Virgin's. Then he switched something and the email he had asked me to send myself appeared from my husband. Then he said he couldn't help any more. My husband, the account holder, signed into his account on Virgin. His password wouldn't work. He had to use the changed password I was given last week. He got taken to MY email. So we're left desperate, neither of us receive email nor can we send any from our ntl addresses. We both work on iMacs, OS Mavericks, if that's any help to anyone reading this. I do hope someone can help us. Thanks for reading this . . .

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL email not working at all

Hi AnnCamilla,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry you're having problems with your email at the moment. I can appreciate you're keen to get this sorted out. 

We are aware of some issues with our email service currently. Please have a look here for more information.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
AnnCamilla
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your reply. The post you pointed me to seems to be about Pop3. I'm using IMAP as instructed by a person on phone number 150 last week. Also doesn't explain why my husband has to use the new password given to me by the same person in order to sign in but is then taken to my email inbox on Virgin.

Melissa_F
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know. 

So your husband uses his own email address to log in but then is taken to yours?

What happens when you sign in using your email address? 

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
AnnCamilla
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa, I go straight to my email on my VM mail inbox. One or two are marked Donald Farr (my husband)! He is the account holder and now his ntl email seems to be working in Thunderbird (sending and receiving) on his Mac where he receives his own email, but his Apple Mail settings don't work. He hasn't changed any settings on his ntl settings on his computer but presumably Thunderbird likes them.  My ntl settings in Apple Mail are just not working at all. I keep having to break off work, open Chrome and go to the VM mail inbox.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear your husband is having issues accessing his emails via Apple Mail AnnCamilla.

Can I ask if he's already tried uninstalling and reinstalling his email address?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
AnnCamilla
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we've both done that - we are two people working on different Macs albeit using Mavericks.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi AnnCamilla,

Thanks for coming back to us. I'll PM you now so can get further details

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos