Menu
BL110
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

NTL email not receiving on PC only

My NTL email suddenly stopped receiving on my PC - it is still fine on my phone and on the Virgin Media page. I can still send ok from the PC but nothing is coming through. I have not changed anything at all and the imap address appears to be fine. 

Please, please can anyone help but please make it simple!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL email not receiving on PC only

@BL110 wrote:

Please, please can anyone help but please make it simple!

You cannot receive emails on your PC and you are using IMAP.

OK, let's got through it step by step:

1) You say "it is still fine on my phone" which means that the Virgin Media IMAP server must be working ok or you would not be receiving emails there either. So that rules out one possibility.

2) You are also receiving emails directly into your email account when you check via VM's online service so your Ntlworld account itself is working fine. That ticks another possible issue off the list.

3) You can send emails ok from the email software/client on your pc (which might be Microsoft's Mail app, MS Outlook, Thunderbird or some other email "client" it does not really matter) which means that software and its online connection is working fine. Another possible issue ruled out.

So, what are we left with?

Well that really only leaves me with the conclusion that the IMAP settings in your email client are wrong for some reason. I know you say the "imap address appears to be fine" but there are more to the IMAP settings than just the server name. 😉

Here are the full IMAP settings and you need to check that all of them are entered correctly in your email client's settings:

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL               

Enabled

IMAP4 port                

IMAP4 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP4 username       

Full email address, for example, richard.branson@virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

I hope that helps.🙂

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BL110
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for trying to help but can you please explain where I find the list of settings you mention? When I go into settings from the NTL email page all I get is: NTLworld settings/Change mailbox sync settings/options from where I can see: imap.virginmedia.com:993:1 for incoming messages.

Regards

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@BL110 wrote:

Hi and thanks for trying to help but can you please explain where I find the list of settings you mention?

See them set out here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438 There are the settings to use for all email clients. IMAP/POP3 and SMTP are standard protocols used by all email apps.

In addition VM provide specific how to guides for setting up VM email on some popular email clients, see here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients They all use the same settings given in the first link but the screens and boxes you use to fill in the details vary from one app to another.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I take it you're using the default Windows Mail client judging by the settings.  You could try imap.ntlworld.com:993:1 instead.  You can always put it back to virginmedia.com if it doesn't work.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You also need to check the other settings relevant to incoming mail such as

Require SSL for incoming mail Ticked

It's not all about the server name and port number. 😉

Coenoby

BL110
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Tried that thanks and no good!

Also tried changing the original NTL email password to my Virgin Media PW and "save" but it reverts back each time!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@BL110 wrote:

Tried that thanks and no good!

All I can say is that if you are able to receive emails in the email app on your phone then the problem must be an error somewhere in the incoming settings of the Windows Mail app on your PC.

I have never used the Microsoft Mail app but one thing you might consider is to delete the email account from the Windows 10 app on your PC and then recreate it from scratch using the instructions in the VM link I gave earlier.  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

Don't delete the email address from the VM website or you will lose the address completely.

Alternatively you could give up using the Microsoft Mail app and install Thunderbird (an excellent free email app/client) on your PC from here https://www.thunderbird.net 

I'm sorry but there is not much more I can say.😞

Coenoby

0 Kudos
BL110
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your suggestions, my son also suggested deleting and reinstalling but I think that may have to wait until he is able to do that at some point in the future. I shall manage with the internet mail for now.

Regards

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@BL110 wrote:

Thanks for all your suggestions, my son also suggested deleting and reinstalling but I think that may have to wait until he is able to do that at some point in the future.

Sorry you could not resolve the problem. Please post back on this thread if you or your son do resolve it and let us know what you did. It's always useful to know in case the same problem gets raised here by someone else.

All the best

Coenoby

0 Kudos