Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

NTL email available on ipad but not laptop

Hi there

I have an old NTLworld email address that I have been using for years uninterrupted. It works without any problems on my iPad but when i try and connect using Outlook on my laptop, it fails miserably. I cancelled my Virgin account for a while during a house move back in late 2018. I have re-subscribed to Virgin, but although i can get the NTLWorld emails on my iPAd (with the NTLworld imap settings, it does not work on my laptop. Can you give me any help please?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL email available on ipad but not laptop

On your laptop open a command shell / terminal window and enter the following command for your operating system where Username:Password is your email address, colon, password, for example richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Xy3a2siz:

Windows 10

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"​ 

BSD / Linux / MacOS / UNIX

export HISTCONTROL=ignorespace
 curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u Username:Password 2>&1 | grep "235\\|VM"​ 

Post the resulting output from the command here; it should not contain any personal information?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

Thank you for the response, I'll have a go at collecting the output and will post shortly.  Do you think the NTL email address has become orphaned from my Virgin media account, if so, can i re-attach it somehow?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If it was a secondary email address then sign in here, My Virgin Media > My Profile > Manage accounts, with the account holder's authentication credentials and confirm it listing. If it is not listed then it is orphaned in which case the forum team would need to resolve the issue however be aware that all orphaned email addresses linked to the previous account will overwrite those that are currently linked to your account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've run the curl command (using the old NTL username - is this correct?), it returned the following output:

535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials invalid (VM300)

Does this mean anything?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

it suggests that the username/password combination you are using is invalid - are you certain that it's correct?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM300 error does indicate the combination of username and/or password is wrong; as mentioned by tehwolf 

Did you manage to determine whether or not the email address was orphaned or not; FYI Re: NTL email available on ipad but not laptop?

Are you able to sign into webmail?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your comments so far.

As i can make out, on my iPad, the NTLworld emails are still coming through, and when i check the iPad settings, i can see the password. I must admit that if i try this password on my PC Outlook or webmail, it does not work.

Is there a way of re-joining this NTL email account with my current Virginmedia account please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey @GinnyH,

Sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your email account. This maybe an orphaned email address that we can look into

Is the email in question a primary account or secondary mailbox on your account?

Have you changed a password via your online account and not updated the email settings on your PC?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven_L

It was the primary email for my account before i moved house, but it is no longer associated with my new Virgin account. It is very strange that i can still access it on my iPad, but i am hopeful.

If i try and enter my NTLWorld email address it does not show as being recognised.

0 Kudos