cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL eMail servers

DavidEvison
Joining in

Can anyone advise on whether the ntlworld or virginmedia IMAP and SMTP servers should be specified when setting up accounts on iOS devices and on OC (Outlook 365)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The current email settings can be found here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The current email settings can be found here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that. I have now used the imap.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com settings on all the four iOS devices we have in the household for the three ntlworld.com email addresses we have.  There was previously a mix of ntlworld and virginmedia servers..Everything works perfectly on the IOS devices, all fully synced and all subscribed folders coming up ok. Unfortunately when I have attempted to change the settings from ntlworld to virginmedia in Outlook 365 on my PC, the setup does not work (fails to connect to server) and I’ve had to revert to the ntlworld servers for Outlook.   Outlook seems to dislike the mismatch between @ntlworld.com email addresses and .imap and .smtp servers.  Any ideas? 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey DavidEvison, thanks for your posts and replies and sorry to hear there was an issue with updating the email settings for your ntlworld email account.

Please, be advised that old email accounts such as ntlworld, blueyonder and virgin.com may be still working with the old settings however they should be updated to the new ones sooner or later.

Can you tell us here or post a screenshot of the error you're getting so we can have a better look into this?
Does it say 'fail to connect' or do you get another error message/code?

Does this happen on all devices you've tried to sync this email with for both iOs software and Outlook?

Please, share the above and we're eager to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri_G

the server settings on my IOS devices are
imap.virginmedia.com
smtp.virginmedia .com
On my iPad I also have "other smtp servers" set as smtp.ntlworld.com but this is toggled "off". On my Phone I have only the virgin media SMTP server address.  I did try to add the ntlworld smtp server under "other" to standardise the settings but this failed to verify.  Nevertheless, the mail on my ios devices (and others in the household) all work fine and synchronise the subscribed folders ok. "use SSL" is toggled to "on"

on my PC (Outlook 365) the settings are
imap.ntlworld.com  Port 143
smtp.ntlworld.com Port 25
Encyrptioon method None

If I try to change either or both of the servers to the virginmedia ones, or to change the Encryption to SSL/TLS I get an error message "something went oring and Outlook could not save your account settings. Please try again"

The outlook mail programme seems to work ok but I am trying to future proof  against the possibility of the ntlworld servers being decommissioned.  I have only recently upgraded to Outlook 365, previously using a standalone Outlook version with POP 3 incoming/smtp mail using the ntlworld severs.

Id be grateful for any further advice

Thanks for coming back to us DavidEvison, are you able to remove all of the email settings and then re-add them to see if that can help to resolve the issues?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L. Thanks for the response. I eventually removed the account from Outlook and then added it back. This time the automatic install selected the Virgin Media IMAP & SMTP servers and all seems ok.  Many thanks 

Hi DavidEvison,

Thank you for your update, glad to hear you have now got your Emails set back up and working, if you do need any further help, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.