cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL World email issue - can receive, but not able to send

AcatGBR4
Joining in

I had an issue that was resolved whereby I could not get any emails at all.  This was resolved, however, not I cannot send any emails on my ntlworld.com accounts.  All other accounts are OK.

Any ideas please?

Gordon

22 REPLIES 22

It just seems to be the ntlworld.com accounts.  All the other accounts behave normally.

Thanks

Gordon

Using Mail,  I can send from accounts that do not send from ntlworld servers.  It says Offline on those.

I can log into that but can't get to email as it says unavailable.

Thank

Gordon

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AcatGBR4  I refer back to my post at message 9 yesterday.  The screen shot at message 7 indicates that the Ntlworld email address may have been locked by the VM security team.  Changing the password for the email account should unlock the account after approx 1 hour.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AcatGBR4 wrote:

Using Mail,  I can send from accounts that do not send from ntlworld servers. 

I would just make one other comment in addition to the password reset advice  @Graham_A   has offered.

If you have your Ntlworld email accounts set to use the old smtp.ntlworld.com and imap.ntlworld,com (or pop3.ntlworld.com) email servers you should update the server settings to use the virginmedia.com servers.

For sometime now, VM have been recommending that all their legacy email domains (Ntlworld.com, Blueyonder.co.uk and Virgin.net) should be  using the Viginmedia,com servers in email clients such as Mail.  Here's their advice as to the correct settings  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change 

Out of interest, I have just checked Mail in Windows 11 and if you create an account in Mail for an Ntlworld email address it automatically uses the server settings as per that Email-settings-change post.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks.

I'm on - 

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 16.58.46.png

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The image cannot be shown publicly because it shows your email address.

Whilst the old Ntlworld settings should still work you would be better off changing them to the recommended Virginmedia ones as per the link posted earlier.  However, before doing that you must change the email password in order to unlock the account.

No amount of tinkering will have any impact until you do that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi.

Sorry for being very stupid, but how and where do I do this?  I got to my settings in Mail and see multiple dots, the number of which varies, implying differing passwords for incoming (IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) servers. Is that where I need to add a new password.  I changed the password in Virgin Media account settings 'account Details' page, is that where you change it?  I have yet to change any passwords until I know that's where you do it 🙄

Thanks!

G

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

Once you have changed the email password using the above instructions wait for an hour then check that you can access the email account via https://mail.virginmedia.com/ If this works and you no longer see the mailbox unavailable message then you can proceed to enter the new password into the mails apps on you devices.  The multiple dots that you see to disguise the password do not indicate the number of characters used in the password.  The IMAP and SMTP server passwords will be the one you set via the My Virgin Media page.

Thanks!

That works for one, but on the main one, when I click to edit and enter an email, I just get - Sorry, you can’t change your sign in details to a @ntlworld.com email address, please choose a different email.

wth?!

Thanks for your patienceQ

]

Gordo

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AcatGBR4 wrote:

When I click to edit and enter an email, I just get - Sorry, you can’t change your sign in details to a @ntlworld.com email address, please choose a different email.

That sound as if you are clicking on the wrong "edit"

You need to click on the edit box to the right of the "Password" line not the "Email address" line.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.