Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

NTL World Email Hacked

Hi All,

Looking to see how I can access my dad's old email address from NTL world, someone has got access and sending out emails, he passed away a few years back so it has been a little upsetting for my mum.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL World Email Hacked

It sounds as if your father was the customer before he passed away?  Is your mother still a customer?  Is the account in her name?  It is nice of you to help her but the staff need to work with the account holder.  It would be good if she could join the forum (you can assist her!) and make a post in this thread.

If NO ONE is the account holder - i.e. the VM service is cancelled, the VM staff here can still help her get the address deleted.  They will respond in this thread in the next few hours or days, depending on workload.

Some questions that will help them:

• What result if you enter the address at mailtester.com? VALID or not valid. (not the email address, just the result - personal details will be taken by private message later)
  • Is there still a VM account for broadband services?
  • Can she/you sign in to that account and see the email address on the my profile tab or manage accounts tab?
  • A secondary email address can be deleted or the password and security details CHANGED by the main account holder.
  • Try the advice here to see what else you can do while you wait: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Remember that spammers can spoof any email address, so recipients assume they are receiving an email from that address, but it is not.  So if your father's address is being spoofed, there is nothing VM can do to stop that.

Good luck and happy new year.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko 

Such superb advice deserves a response from the VIPs to get this case looked at quickly by a member of the VM Forum Team to see what is going on and advise in the light of all the facts. But a pre-condition of this is that the poster's mother MUST join the Forum and post in this thread to confirm that she is either the customer or that the account is closed or that the family have continued to operate the account and use VM services (and pay for them) albeit that the account holder has died. 

So I have escalated this thread on that basis.

Nothing I have said must be take to indicate any lack of empathy for the position that the family find themselves in. All of what I have said is just process, but necessary process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @smiler1977

I believe I have just assisted you via a Live Chat after chatting with you on our Twitter page 🙂 If you need any further help please do not hesitate to let me know. 

Thanks so much to @HowardML for flagging this to us too; much appreciated. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide