cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL Email Client Problems

Drumbeat
Dialled in

Firstly, some of the help being offered in here (to save Thunderbird / Outlook logs etc) are aimed at Windows users. Believe it or not, there is at least one (me) user of an iMac in VirginMedialand!

Onto the problem. My NTL email address will no longer work in Postbox app, Outlook (for Mac) and Thunderbird (for Mac). Up until two days ago my NTL address worked perfectly - for 23 years. But now something has gone wrong. Big time. I used to use my own email address password, but I see things have changed, and I need to generate one from Virgin's website. This I have done. Over and over and over again, all to no avail. I have generated different passwords for the different email clients.  In Postbox, after I have copied and pasted the generated password, a message appears telling me authentication has failed. In all cases, the email clients auto-generate the smtp etc info. In Outlook, there is no error message, just a box that keeps reappearing asking for a password. Ditto Thunderbird. I have spent over an hour generating and regenerating password after password, but nothing has solved the problem. Also, I have switched off Nord VPN, just in case that was in some way causing problems. There must be a simpler way than this to sort out an email address, surely? I can sign in and view my emails on Virgin's website, but I want to view messages in a client. Can anybody help me out on this one, please?  Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and app password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:civic-rotor-deed-tenet:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your help. Typing the info into Terminal has resulted in being unsuccessful, as I can see AUTH PLAIN 334 in the result.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you see a VM code below that line, for example:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [REDACED]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304)

Hi, yes, that is exactly what I am seeing.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using your ntlworld.com email address as the username or the new (non-Virgin Media) Sign in Email Address you were required to switch to before being able to generate an App Password; make sure to use the former with your email client?

I am using the ntlworld address as the username with the email client.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In that case the forum team are best placed to help further and issue has been flagged to them; hopefully they will respond later today when their workday begins.

Drumbeat
Dialled in

OK, thank you for your help. Appreciated.

HI @Drumbeat 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies you are having issues with your email account. We are currently looking into this as we speak. I shall send you a private message with any updates and if there are any additional things to discuss.

Sabrina