cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO EMAIL

mike1963
On our wavelength

Ok so just had a call from Virgin telling me our lack of emails is down to apple and to give them a ring. Disgusting service. Four iPhones in the house, three iPads and its apples fault.  Yeh right. Need the emails for my work too. 
This is disgusting shoddy service. Asked to speak to a manager because I was annoyed. Basically got told they are busy and it would probably be dealt with by someone else. Please can someone help with this issue. Surely it doesn’t take this long to sort this problem. 
Mike 

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password or, if generated App password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Neil-J
Tuning in

That is an odd response from Virgin we are both all Apple( i-phones i pads and macs ).For nine days my partner has not been able to access her e-mail account this is our secondary account -my "primary" virgin e-mail account is fine Given that I can't see  Apple as being the problem as logical.

All of our hardware is up to date on software so i don't think its a software issue as you know Apple do upgrades regularly .

Just for comparison my partners message simply says " Your e-mail password was incorrect " .No matter what we do we cannot get around this. We have tried deleting the account on one device and restarting -same problem .As "primary" user I can see her account on the Virgin media site but cannot access it or change the password .

150 have been unable to help we are promised an "escalation" but nothing has happened. There have  clearly been many many  similar  problems from others from  at least a  fortnight ago. Virgin have written on this forum before that they know there is a problem for secondary accounts and they are "working on it".Some people have reported their secondary accounts have been out for three weeks .

Good luck.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mike1963
On our wavelength

Hi everyone.  
So Virgin man came out yesterday to try and sort this out.  He couldn’t so he put a message out to all his colleagues to see if they’d had the same issue.  He got replies, it turns out after the outages many people had with their emails, Virgin had the passwords autogenerated but didn’t inform people properly.  They did via email but that kind of defeats the object when you are not receiving them lol 😂 

Hey mike1963, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

We are aware of some issues affecting the emails and the network team are trying to work on this.

Have you tried to change the password at all, will it let you? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?