Menu
0030alison
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My ntlworld email has been hacked

My old ntlworld email account has been hacked, password changed so can’t access but it is sending out spam to people I know and also don’t know. I am no longer with virgin media due to a house move. What can I do?

0 Kudos
BumbleVMTech
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: My ntlworld email has been hacked

Hi, have you tried the forgotten password link?

Regards

Rich

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have come to the right place, 0030alison.

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (Try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We see these all the time. VM should delete these accounts properly 90 days after you leave them, but the process is often not fully completed though access to the address is properly denied. You will need VM IT and VM mail teams to delete the address fully. Wait here for one of the normal VM Forum Team to pick up this post and arrange for the deletion. They will need details from you and will explain how to do this when they answer this thread.

I will ask the Mods to ensure this happens. You can try the "forgotten password" link to regain access to the account. I doubt you'll be successful. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi 0030alison,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your email address. We appreciate the frustration caused when your account is no longer accessible.

We can get this email deleted for you to stop any further issues if this is what you request?

I will pop you over a private message, please click the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi.

0030alison
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hacked ntlworld.com email

Hi, I posted yesterday about my ntlworld email, it’s a secondary account on my 90 year old fathers account which he had for years. He used vm for both tv and broadband until he came to live with me when he didn’t need it any more.

so far I’m locked out of Facebook, they nearly managed the same with amazon and eBay, and spam emails have been sent out to some of my contacts. More worrying, my father has just shown me an email he received a few days ago supposedly from vm asking him to pay his account up to date.

i can’t get through on the phone and am at a loss of what to do. This needs Urgent attention but I can’t find anyone to talk to, all options on the telephone are for people who have accounts now. My dad was a loyal customer for years!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked ntlworld.com email

Did you reply to the Private message that Jodi_S sent you yesterday with regard to this query?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0030alison
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes I did but aren’t sure if she received it as I have heard nothing back and things are getting worse!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looking at her online status she doesn't appear to be on shift at the moment - she may be doing 'lates' as she was on till 8pm last evening.

@ModTeam - is there anyone around who can help with this?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi 0030alison, in the interest of getting this resolved asap I will help as best I can. Please look out for my PM, hope to hear back from you soon. 

Tom