Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My me.com emails being bounced back from outlook, hotmail and yahoo

I can't understand the link virgin media sends to amend this issue. It seems intended for windows and not mac anyway.  My me.com is not a business email, yet virgin's explanation about bouncing back assumes it is.  Please can anyone advise or help with this recurring issue?  Or would it be best to ditch Virgin Media and my me.com address completely? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: My me.com emails being bounced back from outlook, hotmail and yahoo

If the link does not disclose any personal information can you post it here or summaries the advice?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It sounds as if you're getting the message that directs you to this link here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147

Although that is an educated guess on my part.

That link was intended for those who have their own domain and send mail using Virgin Media's SMTP servers.  However me.com is Apple's domain.  Mail sent using a me.com address MUST be sent using Apple's SMTP servers.

me.com Email settings can be found here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jackie20 Contacted me via PM today so I took adventage of the situation to send her my email addy and asked her to email me so I could look at the headers.

Return-Path: <you@me.com>
Delivered-To: me@ravenstar68.co.uk
Received: from box.timothydutton.co.uk ([127.0.0.1])
by box.timothydutton.co.uk with LMTP id 8LdaEZHgy16mCAAAqnml9w
for <me@ravenstar68.co.uk>; Mon, 25 May 2020 16:13:21 +0100
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.2 (2018-09-13) on
box.timothydutton.co.uk
X-Spam-Level: *
X-Spam-Status: No, score=1.0 required=5.0 tests=FREEMAIL_FROM,FREEMAIL_REPLY,
HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE,RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2,SPF_HELO_NONE,
T_DOC_ATTACH_NO_EXT,T_FREEMAIL_DOC_PDF autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
version=3.4.2
X-Spam-Report:
* -0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2 RBL: Average reputation (+2)
* [81.104.62.40 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
* 0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail
* provider (you[at]me.com)
* 0.0 SPF_HELO_NONE SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record
* 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
* -0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE RBL: Sender listed at
* https://www.dnswl.org/, no trust
* [81.104.62.40 listed in list.dnswl.org]
* 0.0 T_DOC_ATTACH_NO_EXT Document attachment with suspicious name
* 1.0 FREEMAIL_REPLY From and body contain different freemails
* 0.0 T_FREEMAIL_DOC_PDF MS document or PDF attachment, from freemail
X-Spam-Score: 1.0
X-Greylist: delayed 274 seconds by postgrey-1.36 at box.timothydutton.co.uk; Mon, 25 May 2020 16:13:21 BST
Authentication-Results: box.timothydutton.co.uk; dmarc=fail (p=quarantine dis=none) header.from=me.com
Received: from know-smtprelay-omd-8.server.virginmedia.net (know-smtprelay-omd-8.server.virginmedia.net [81.104.62.40])
(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))
(No client certificate requested)
by box.timothydutton.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 254807FFA9
for <me@ravenstar68.co.uk>; Mon, 25 May 2020 16:13:21 +0100 (BST)
Received: from [192.168.0.14] ([82.43.xxx.xxx])
by cmsmtp with ESMTPA
id dEkDjKNiCLv1ndEkDj8JM1; Mon, 25 May 2020 16:10:26 +0100
X-Originating-IP: [82.43.xxx.xxx]
X-Authenticated-User: you@blueyonder.co.uk

Jackie - it looks like you are using an Apple Mail product.  The first thing I would do is to make sure that each account is ONLY set to use the specific SMTP server for that account as if a send fails Apple will try and use any other SMTP servers it has details of.  This used to be fine but due to the adoption of SPF and DMARC checking by end users it's now a bad idea.

These mails that are failing are definitely being sent out using Virgin Media's email servers.  So the bounces are not down to a fault on VM's part.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi TIm

Thanks for this.  Should I stop using Apple Mail?  Maybe use Outlook on Mac?   Would that resolve the issues I'm getting.

I am trying to find out what is going on via Mail Preferences and Accounts. This is beginning to make sense of the situation, thank you.  Please could you advise just a bit more based on the following?

1. I think I've got a confusing situation with [MOD EDIT: Removed] and [MOD EDIT: Removed][MOD EDIT: Removed] was my original email with Virgin, and it was my original Apple ID email until it began getting so much spam that I added [MOD EDIT: Removed]  [MOD EDIT: Removed] is my main personal email and has been for years.  

2. However, I see that blueyonder.co.uk is assigned as my Outgoing Mail Account for iCloud IMAP, while [MOD EDIT: Removed] is listed as offline. This was done via Apple Support some months ago, but was problematic. There is no additional information or boxes in Preferences for this account,

3. In Apple Mail Preferences my business email  [MOD EDIT: Removed] has [MOD EDIT: Removed] listed as Outgoing Mail Account. Similar to the iCloud account there is no additional information or boxes in Preferences for this Google account.

4. the blueyonder.co.uk account Incoming Mail Service (IMAP) give Host name as map.virginmedia.com.  There is a tick for Automatically manage connection settings. (Is this what I should un-tick????).  The Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) for blueyonder.co.uk give Host Name as smtp.virginmedia.com.

5. Last week I added [MOD EDIT: Removed] in an attempt to get an email account that didn't have any problems, but it is not reliable with hotmail, yahoo, or aol either!   Incoming Mail Server (IMAP) Host Name is IMAP-mail.outlook.com.  There is a tick at Automatically manage connection settings.  Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) account Outlook, User name: [MOD EDIT: Removed], Host name: smtp-mail.outlook.com and a tick at Automatically manage connection settings.

Is there anything I can alter with the above?  Why is [MOD EDIT: Removed] marked as offline?  It seems to have been 'demoted' in favour of blueyonder.  Hence I do have multiple accounts linked with blueyonder, but have no idea how to correct this?  Do I ring Apple Support?  They are not always very well informed - maybe I can ask for a senior advisor.  What do you advise, Tim?

Thanks for your help so far on this.  It's beginning to make some sense, but I'm not sure how to rectify the problem.

Jackie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You might want to edit your post to hide your email addresses.  If you look at my post you'll see I edited the headers to mask the actual addresses.

@ModTeam can you assist if required.

Tim

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jackie20 

There's nothing wrong with continuing to use Apple Mail if that's your preferred mail client.  All email programs talk to mail servers in the same way, it's just that some programs have their own little quirks in how they handle things.  So it can be useful to know which one you are using.

Apple's online/offline status can be useful, but it's important to realise that just because the server is shown as offline, doesn't mean that it is, it just means that Apple mail can't talk to it - either your connection details are wrong or your username and password are.

Also worth me asking is - do you have two factor authentication on on your Apple account.  If you do then some IMAP/SMTP clients require that you set up an app specific password, although to the best of my knowledge you shouldn't need to do this with Apple Mail.  Sadly I don't have a Mac (I need to sort out my Hackintosh USB stick again ;))

Tim

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for explaining this and so much.  The best help I've ever had re mail.  Really Very Very Insightful Person - thanks! 

Jackie

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jackie

Glad you're winning now.

To update the thread, Jackie has been playing with her server settings in Apple Mail and has now sent me an email from her me.com account using the correct servers.  This has solved her issues with regards to me.com and delivering to Outlook.com email addresses when sending using her me.com address.

Tim