cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ex still has access to my emails from their phone, how do I stop this without losing my email address?

ruth-colly
Tuning in

My ex is still accessing my emails from their phone even though I have changed my password. How do I stop this? I don't want to change my email address as I would have to change so much to inform people

7 REPLIES 7

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Secure your account with 2-Step Verification, one option is a verification text sent to your phone.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ruth-colly Generating an app password for your VM email address should stop them accessing it.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management.

This process will require you to change the username for the email account to a third party email address that you already own.  This won't change the underlying email address.

This is VM's version of two factor authentication.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If my ex has not exited the account but kept the email open on their phone will the 2 step verification force them out of it?

ruth-colly
Tuning in

I don't think my ex ever logs out of the email account - will your resolution still work?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If referring to a webmail session then:

• select ⚙ > Security
  • set Automatic sign out to 5 minutes
  • wait for webmail session to timeout
  • sign back in and reset Automatic sign out to its previous value

FYI if you wish to confirm sign out of other webmail session then consider starting a separate webmail session on another device before trying the above steps

BTW as your account has been compromised do consider following the advice here My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help; especially the advice checking for auto-forwards and filter rules.

; -- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thank you  - but I cannot work out how to do this

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From a:

Should you still not be able workout what to do then please detail the issue is so better instructions can be provided.