cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My email has been hacked and has been used to hack my FB and Instagram...

andymurds
Joining in

My ntlworld.com account has been hacked and been used to lock my FB and Instagram accounts. I have since received a ransom demand to unlock this but worryingly the demand does state what my password is.

I've been using this account for years. I have logged in and changed the password but if they got the password once then obviously it could happen again.

What options do I have?

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andymurds wrote:

My ntlworld.com account has been hacked and been used to lock my FB and Instagram accounts. I have since received a ransom demand to unlock this but worryingly the demand does state what my password is

See, Alert: Cyber criminals send victims their own passwords in new sextortion scam | Action Fraud

I've been using this account for years. I have logged in and changed the password but if they got the password once then obviously it could happen again.

What options do I have?

As a precautionary measure follow the advice here, My Virgin media email has been hacked | Virgin Media Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi and thankyou for the reply.

I have been on the online chat and have requested my email accounts be deleted as I don't need it nor need any old emails.I was told this had been done along with the information being sent to there 'specialized team' (spelling as per the chat message received).

How am I able to confirm this has happened.as although I mentioned in my first post above I managed to get in and change my password, when I tried it again later on in the day I was informed when logging in the email or password was incorrect so obviously I had been hit again.

Many thanks for any info you can provide.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Either:

• wait for the forum team to confirm its deletion in a few days
  • sent email to the address should bounce back with an error indicating unknown mailbox or similar message

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @andymurds

Thank you for your post and I am so sorry to hear your email has been hacked, I can look into this for you to make sure the ticket has been raised.
I will pop you over a PM, keep an eye out for the little envelope 📩

Zoie