Menu
Borealis23
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My email account has disappeared

I attempted to sign into my email account the other day to find that my password no longer worked and when I tried to 'reset password' the site did not accept my username, which I am pretty sure is simply my email address. The response on the page is 'unable to find your username' and 'please enter a valid email address. When I then went onto 'forgotten your username' it again said that no username could be found for those details. It is as though my whole account has been wiped. I know that I am correctly entering the email address and password so I am concerned that I have been hacked or that something has gone terribly wrong.

I tried to use the vriginmedia chat service to fix the issue but they have been no help. It is very important to me that I am able to get back into my account as there are very important emails stored there. I feel helpless.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: My email account has disappeared

@Borealis23 

The first thing to ascertain is: do you have a current Virginmedia broadband account?

The answer to this question is key to what the next steps are.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Borealis23
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No, I don't think so. I previously used the email address for a broadband account, but the subscription was cancelled in August last year. Now it is just an email account with no associated billing.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that simplifies things somewhat. VM email accounts get closed down a few months after the billing account is closed.  This should be within 90 days but sometimes takes longer.

Your email account has likely been deleted in accordance with the terms and conditions of your previous broadband account.

There is some useful info here: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/m-p/3492073#M173058

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Borealis23
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much! Using your advice I worked out that I could link my missing email account to another virginmedia account that I have, which is linked to my mum's billing and miraculously it worked and my emails have reappeared! Thank you! You are my hero today

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much! Using your advice I worked out that I could link my missing email account to another virginmedia account that I have, which is linked to my mum's billing and miraculously it worked and my emails have reappeared! Thank you! You are my hero today "

Well done, but not sure how you have achieved this, unless, of course, the email address concerned wasn't a Virginmedia one or one of the legacy domains.