Menu
charlibythesea
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My account sends out automatic empty messages, and they come back !

My inbox is full of 'Mail Delivery Failure' messages - for messages I haven't sent. My email account automatically sends an empty  reply for every email I receive - which is then sent back to me as undelivered. I don't use the account for inter-personal stuff - it happens when I receive (probably) automated messages such as purchase receipts, notifications etc. It's as if I am sending back a 'Received' notification that they don't want, and it comes back undelivered !

I'm using IMAP, and it happens when I am logged  directly onto the virginmedia server, so its not something a client programme is doing. 

Its not critical, but it is bloody irritating ! Can anyone help me stop it happening ?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My account sends out automatic empty messages, and they come back !

I would suggest that you follow all the steps set out in this help file:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
charlibythesea
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, 

Thank you for your answer. There isn't any sign I have been hacked, but I have gone through the help page steps. My account isn't set to Autoforward anywhere . 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@charlibythesea wrote:

It happens when I receive (probably) automated messages such as purchase receipts, notifications etc. It's as if I am sending back a 'Received' notification that they don't want, and it comes back undelivered !

If you are using Outlook, I would check to make sure it is not set to send read receipts automatically. I know that you have said that it happens when you are logged directly onto the VM server so it cannot be your email client. However, with the timing delays with sent emails emails and then the receiving servers handling and then sending back a Non Delivery Report it might not be obvious whether your automated responses are coming from Webmail or Outlook.

It would be worth just checking this anyway. 😉

In Outlook, click on "File", then from the dropdown menu select "Options". Then click on "Mail" and scroll down almost  to the bottom and you will see a section headed "Tracking"

Outlook red receipt.png

Make sure you have got  "Never send a read receipt" or "Ask each time" selected.

If you already have one of those selected at least you have ruled out one possibility. 🤔

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Save the .eml file attached to the Mail Delivery Failure message and view it in a text editor for clues to its origin, for example the value of:

• X-Authenticated-User or X-Authenticated-Sender indicates the email account used to send the message
  • User-Agent or X-Mailer indicates the email client used to send the message

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos