Menu
DaveW96
Dialled in
Message 1 of 52
Flag for a moderator

My Spam solution

It looks like there are many complaints about the recent influx of Spam emails and that includes me. I tried filtering for the various dodgy email addresses but found that was getting tiresome continually adding new ones. Then I tried filtering based on Mailing list, as many seemed to contain the same details details. But then they soon started getting through again.

I now have found a common theme which has successfully resulted in only requiring a single filter. Only 1 spam message has hit my inbox in the last 10 days or so and over 60 have been sent straight to spam.

If you haven't seen the filter process before you need to sign-on to your mail via a browser to

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/appsuite/

Once in, on the top rhs of the screen you will see the Virgin icon, to the left of that "three white bars", click on that and select "Settings" from drop down menu. On the left of the resulting screen, select Email and from the drop down menu select "Filter Rules"

I have removed all my other confusing junk filters and set up the following single filter:-

Sent Date     Lower     04/10/2020

File into         Spam

I shall keep monitoring to see if a new variation arises and perhaps an addition may be required at some point but for now try this and see for yourselves.

Tags (1)
sousie27
Tuning in
Message 2 of 52
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My Spam solution

Tried it & it worked! 
 I mainly access emails on my phone & it’s so annoying to keep getting notifications for this rubbish. Within a couple of hours of applying this filter it had sent 3 scumbags to the spam folder & perfect peace for me.

Thank you!

lewisp91
Up to speed
Message 3 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Trying this now
What's the logic behind it?

0 Kudos
sjw211
Dialled in
Message 4 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Looking at the mail properties of one of them, there is a line:

Date: Wed4 Oct 2020 18:44:07 -0400

I'm not totally sure what this line is but I don't know why any mail would have such a date - so I guess the logic is any mail from then or before goes to Spam.

If you have other rules, in the 'Actions' for the rule, I'd also add a 'Set colour flag' to a colour and you will see which ones this rule processed into Spam.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@sjw211 wrote:

Looking at the mail properties of one of them, there is a line:

I'm not totally sure what this line is but I don't know why any mail would have such a date - so I guess the logic is any mail from then or before goes to Spam.

If you have other rules, in the 'Actions' for the rule, I'd also add a 'Set colour flag' to a colour and you will see which ones this rule processed into Spam.

The logical description is correct but the reason for its condition of Sent date Lower 04/10/2020 being true is less clear given that the Date header value of 04/10/2020 is equal to, not less than. The reason why it works is because the Date header value Wed4 Oct 2020 18:44:07 -0400 is invalid resulting in the returned value being less than 04/10/2020; in fact this rule will work for any invalid Date header value, i.e. Sat13 Feb 2021 15:16:48 +0000

FYI: date time values are converted to the number of milliseconds passed since 01/01/1970 before being stored / compared, i.e. 4/10/2020 is converted to 1601769600000. It is likely invalid date time is converted to 0.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sigma
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 52
Flag for a moderator

So far this is working great for me.

Since I applied this filter at 4PM this afternoon, 10 spam emails (the typical stuff about Norton etc. that we've all been getting) have been caught by the filter, zero spam has got through, and there hasn't been a single false positive.

Thanks very much for this! I'd never have thought of it.

0 Kudos
sjw211
Dialled in
Message 7 of 52
Flag for a moderator

As this does appear to work perfectly and filters on mails with non-valid dates, surely this rule could be applied at server level?

Has there been an 'official' response?

ahrbee
Superfast
Message 8 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I have been trying other filters so I will bookmark this discussion. I don't understand the solution so I am a little reluctant to instal it immediately. Good to know, though, and thank you for the information.

My spam flow has quickened but not to the tsunami levels reported elsewhere; and most has ended up in junk rather than the Inbox. It is mostly renewals but I had an invitation this morning from a no doubt charming young lady called Emily which I will be unable to keep.🙂 Erased while in junk so perhaps Emily won't try again!

0 Kudos
stublee
Dialled in
Message 9 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Dave's  solution has been working for me now for 4 days ... again thanks to him and long may it last ! I use Thunderbird client and all this crud has been going straight to spam folder 🙂 Elsewhere someone here ( so called expert ) has replied that spam is just normal and we have to learn to live with it ..... this amount is not normal and is the result of VM addresses being hacked and bombed . VM advertise that they take customer security seriously ....but obviously not with their e-mail service ! There is a real danger of someone inadvertently clicking on a link and having their personal banking details compromised and goodness knows what else ... VM offer e-mail as part of their package and I would suggest it is one of the reasons and an attractive one , why customers sign up to the VM package in the first place . If they don't take this service seriously and are not willing or indeed unable to offer an efficient and secure service then they shouldn't provide or advertise it , reduce their prices  and / or be prepared to lose customers accordingly .  I have been with NTL / Virgin now for 20 years and although there are cheaper alternatives out there I have always found their broadband service / speeds  to be reliable and the few minor faults over the years to have been dealt with speedily and efficiently . Overall got what I paid for and therefore although I also have SKY have stuck with them .  However this spamming situation has been out of control now far too long and should be urgently addressed by the powers that be !

0 Kudos
Sigma
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 52
Flag for a moderator

It works because if you look at the source for any of the spam emails, you will see a line like this: -

So, for some reason, the sent date is wrong. Whether that is deliberate or not, I don't know.

All the filter does is look at the sent date and if it's on or before the 4th of October 2020, it sends the email into the spam folder. Every single piece of spam I've received in the last 24 hours has been caught by this filter, so it's likely all coming from the same source. As no legitimate emails that you receive now will have a sent date from 2020, you shouldn't get any false positives.

0 Kudos