Menu
Windmilljohn
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

My Blueyonder emails blocked by Spamcop

For the third time this week, my emails sent via Blueyonder to commonly used contacts have been blocked, apparently by Spamcop. I get messages such as:

"550:550 5.7.1 H:SC [80.0.253.75] Connection refused due to abuse. Please see http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?80.0.253.75 or contact your E-mail provider."

My email provider doesn't seem to want to know.

Unless my account has been hacked and is sending spam (surely someone would have told me?) it looks as if Virgin Media and Spamcop are waging a private war of attrition..... can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Blueyonder emails blocked by Spamcop

Hi Windmilljohn, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are getting such messages. It is likely that the home network is sending spam. Can you run a virus/malware test on the devices and once this is done we would recommend changing the password for the online account /virgin mail and this should stop this. Chris 

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Blueyonder emails blocked by Spamcop

@Chris_W1 

IP address 80.0.253.75 is a VM email server address. It is in the UK. Spamcop has received reports from users of its services that the said IP address is a source of spam emails, and has listed it as such. So, the source of the spam in this case could be ANY user of VM email server 80.0.253.75 whose email has failed Spamcop’s check at the addressee’s incoming email server end. In an ideal world, VM should be checking the Spamcop site regularly to ensure that its servers are NOT on the Spamcop list or come to some understanding with Spamcop.

@Windmilljohn 

The problem is that Spamcop is a minority player in the global spam detection field. It is currently a division of Cisco Systems in the USA and the majority of its customers are probably based in the USA. Are you sending some emails to US-based recipients? If so, you probably have no way of knowing which variety of spam checker your email is subject to at the other end – unless you ask your intended recipients to find out.

If I put 80.0.253.75 into the blacklist checker in MXToolbox (it scans against approximately 80 to 90 Blacklist sites, including Spamcop), it reports zero failures. Before I wrote the above, I checked the Spamcop site itself directly for 80.0.253.75. It was not listed. That suggests it was de-listed soon after your email(s) was/were bounced.

For a description of how Spamcop decides whether to list incoming data, read this -

https://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/297.html#:~:text=Most%20of%20the%20sites%20SpamCop,or%20most....

Basically it seems to target data at email server level as opposed to individual user IP addresses, so as I said above, it may not be your emails triggering Spamcop, it could be some other user(s).