Menu
Dipak
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving spam email

If I log onto Virginmedia webmail and find a spam email in my Inbox, I can click on the icon "Mark as spam" and the selected email will be moved into the spam folder.  Does clicking on this icon actually mark/tag/label the email so that it is identified as spam or does the icon simply move the email to the spam folder.

Webmail.jpg

The reason for this question is that if I use an email client with IMAP settings then I can see the same folder structure as Virginmedia but do not have a similar icon as "Mark as spam".  If I find a spam email, I can simply move it to the spam folder.  In this case the email will not be marked/tagged/labelled as spam.

So my question is does the "Mark as spam" icon in Virginmedia webmail simply move the email or does it alter it?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving spam email

Hello

In webmail it will move and mark it as spam for the future.

In an email client it will depend on which one you use, I know that with Outlook you right click on the email and select Junk - Block Sender, this will mpve it to the junk/spam folder and take it for future use as spam.

Which client are you using ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dipak
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick reply Mark,

I am using Thunderbird.

Regards,

Dipak

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Found what you need

Select a message and type “Shift+J” (for not Junk) or “J” (for Junk). or Right-click on a message and choose “Mark -> As Junk” (or “As Not Junk”). Select a message and from the “Message” menu, choose “Mark -> As Junk” (or “As Not Junk”).

I thought it was pretty much similar to Outlook.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

AFAIK it is the action of moving an email from / to the Spam folder (on the server) that triggers the underlying identification mechanism and it is unlikely that a few data sources will result in a change to the current identification, i.e. a few people marking a message as spam or not spam is unlikely to result in correct future identification.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos