cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving blueyonder email to a different account

simon92922
Joining in

Hi guys,

Im in a bit of a pickle here, just wondered if anybody could help me in any way possible.

Back when I was a teenager and lived at home with my parents I had my own blueyonder email address. I have continued using it ever since as they have remained with virgin media.

Unfortunately for us my father passed away recently and my mother has had to cancel his service as she couldn't afford to take it on.

The account is currently active so I can still access emails for the time being. However, it will cease to exist after a while.

I have my own virgin media account where I live now, is there any way I can get this ancient email address transferred over to my account at all?

I have had the email address for many years and it would involve a lot of my time backing up all that data. Time which I do not have at present.

Would VM be able to do this for me at all?

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Ordinarily VM won't do this, and it is one of the pitfalls of relying on ISP email accounts.  I've flagged this to see if staff can make something happen given the bereavement circumstances, but if the staff can't work round VM's processes, then there's 90 days from when the account was closed, and during that time you'll need to investigate downloading all emails from the server to a local email client (and then making sure they are backed up).  I can't offer advice on how to do those as it depends on the email client you're using, and how you back up your data.  At the end of the 90 days, if no progress offered by VM your email address, and all emails not held on local clients will be deleted.

In technical terms it's quite possible for an email account to be transferred, but VM systems aren't set up to do this routinely, the company really doesn't like doing anything unusual, and we believe that email is another VM activity outsourced to some cheapskate provider, so see what staff say, but I suspect you'll have to make other arrangements.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @simon92922, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry for the loss of your father, generally when an account is cancelled the email address will then cease to work up to 90 days after. I will certainly do my best to see if there is anything we can do to keep this email address active.

I'll just need to send you a PM to investigate this further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules