Menu
Rogerthedodger
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Moving a blueyonder email address

Hi, my wife has an email address [  herfirstnamesecondname@blueyonder.co.uk  ] which links to my email [  myfirstname underscore secondname@blueyonder.co.uk  ]. That email (with the underscore) gets spam, so I would like to register my wife’s email as an alias (I think that may be the correct word) or secondary email of my main email [ myfirstname dot secondname@blueyonder.co.uk  ]

As her current email as above is already registered, but connected to my underscore email address, I have a suspicion that this may not be possible. As I think it’s not allowed because we are now part of virginmedia email set up which in turn is past of gmail.

We do not want to change her email address if at all possible, just to “unlink” it from my email address with an underscore and link it instead to my email address with the dot.

Could you guys guide me as to whether what we want to do is possible and how to if possible.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving a blueyonder email address

Sounds like your email address is a primary address and your wife is a secondary address

A primary email address can not be removed or changed, even if heavily spammed (same as mine), it has to remain as it is connected to the account.

I think your only option is to set up yourself a new virgin secondary email, or use another email provider such as gmail, outlook, yahoo

If you are prepared to change email address, then that is the two options. You would have to transfer your contacts/account to the new email address.

Virgin is no longer uses gmail, it used to years ago I can remember that but now uses it own email service.

Additional secondary emails can be added/removed in the virgin account - my virgin media/profile /manage accounts

Virgin do not use an alias, which links an alias address to  an existing email so all emails go to the same main email inbox. (google gmail can do that)

perhaps the forum can confirm this???

Another solution would be to use a single email as a family address so more than one person used the email, some do that and give it a name like smithfamily101 for example, but most people prefer a private email address and password.

hope that might help, I have also tried to change my primary email address a few times and it is not allowed, so may be easier to stop using it but you have to keep it, the only way to get rid is to close the virgin account down which is not really practical if remaining a customer.

0 Kudos
Rogerthedodger
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28, thanks that's helpful. The problem is that my wife's email is registered with several places (like local police as she is a neighbourhood co-ordinator) and we really want to keep hers as a separate email address, but linked to my main BY address. 

I should have twigged that VM is no longer run through gmail though ! ! 

I did have a gmail account for a while, but not used it and I think it's now defunct !

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

linking emails

It is also possible to link one email address to another using the forwarding facility in email settings, that can be useful so one email can receive message from another email belonging to the same person or another person if they agree to do that or useful to monitor your own  old email  no longer used much for example, I do that myself and my wife forwards her email to me also for convenience.

0 Kudos
Rogerthedodger
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28, yes that's what we do now, but I can't seem to stop the spam coming too. Also there is sometimes a problem synchronising the email account with underscore in it, which at times is a real pain.

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If the gmail has not been used for a period  (usually approx 90 days inactivity-log in) the email can be disabled, that is the problem with free email services.

If you keep virgin mail then forwarding  of your wife's existing emails to a new secondary account with a new modified address in your name may be useful, and have the same effect as an alias account so your wife's emails would go to your own inbox if required also but remain on the server in her own inbox if ticked in the forward options but would require agreement first by the email owner as the setting to forward are in their login (settings)

The 90 days inactivity-login  also applies to virgin email accounts even though we pay for the service.

perhaps the forum could confirm what is possible???

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I agree dots, undersores etc are a pain, I no longer use them but stuck with my ntlworld.com which has a dot.

It can cause confusion, gmail for example just ignores dots or capital letters. I even had someone using my gmail address , there originally  was dotted versions and they no loner exist now but lots of confusion with people having in the same name sometimes so that is why a number is added.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

the spam can not be stopped I get it most days, the email is old and on a lot of distribution lists, I get between 1000 to 2000 per year.

0 Kudos
Rogerthedodger
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, I am not sure how to register a new or secondary blueyonder email address. More to the point, I am concerned that if I try to do that, it will tell me that her email address already exists and so presumably not allow it.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Any new secondary addresses are automatically virginmedia.com

My secondary address are all virginmedia.com, the old addresses like blueyonder .com, ntlworld.com etc date back to the early days when it was NTL and carried over with existing customers but still valid.

Advise you keep the addresses  and do not delete your wife's email address or you would loose the bluyonder.com  address (if you prefer them and just ignore the spam)

I myself ran NHW for 4 years about 23 years ago at my previous house.

I suggest the forum advise on best option for you, hope I have not confused you, will leave it to an expert to advise you from  forum.