Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Move and Transfer email address

Hi VM team

I know you are working very hard to deal with the increased demand. Can you please transfer my dad's email address to my VM account? I have an active BB contract. 

He has closed his account from yesterday so has less than 90 days left before the account is lost.

Thanks

Anil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Move and Transfer email address

VM staff have said on here that transfers can only be between accounts in the same name (account holder) and if it was done you would lose all your email addresses

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Set up the account in an email client and download all emails to your PC/system.

You have 90 days of access to the old account, more than enough time to do this and set up a new ISP independent email account for future use.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I know it is possible as others have been able to do this. See thread from 2 months ago:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Move-and-transfer-email-addresses/td-p/4132951

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

since then its been said otherwise by VM staff here. So the policy may of chanced. Maybe due to GDPR rules

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@adhain wrote:

I know it is possible as others have been able to do this. See thread from 2 months ago:

Here is the statement from Virgin Media about the conditions that need to be met in order for a Move and Transfer to take place. The Forum Moderator spells those out in post 40 of the thread below.

Note that one of the conditions is "The disconnected account and active broadband account must have the same account holder."

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-log-in-to-virgin-net-email/td-p/4140683/page/4 

Perhaps it is possible that VM will make an exception for you and your Dad.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

@adhain wrote:

Here is the statement from Virgin Media about the conditions that need to be met in order for a Move and Transfer to take place. The Forum Moderator spells those out in post 40 of the thread below.

Note that one of the conditions is "The disconnected account and active broadband account must have the same account holder."

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-log-in-to-virgin-net-email/td-p/4140683/page/4 

Perhaps it is possible that VM will make an exception for you and your Dad.

Coenoby

The application of that criteria seems to have changed, see post # 11 in this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Transfer-old-email-to-new-Virgin-account/td-p/4164640/pag...

The main use for move & transfer is to allow a customer to take an email account with them if they move and have to set up a new account. The process moves a whole email service with primary and secondary addresses from one account to another.

When we do a move & transfer we ensure we clear DPA on the new account and the old account before transferring. As a rule we wouldn't do it for accounts in different names, but when we have reason to do so we'll clear DPA on both accounts as well.

I feel there are serious implications in relation to the DPA and GDPR if Virgin Media do allow the transfer of an existing email account to a differently named person.

The VM Terms and Conditions are perfectly clear, the closure of an account will result in the loss of the associated email address. Being inconvenient is not a justifiable reason to transfer an email address to a differently named person.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.