Menu
Colem970a
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Move & transfer

We have recently moved house & Virgin was not available at our new home.  Our Virgin account has 3 email addresses which we’d like to retain.  My daughter had already moved out and has Virgin at her flat.  Can we move the 3 email addresses to her account, I don’t think she has used any email addresses on her Virgin account.

Kind Regards

Mike

mike

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Move & transfer

We have had guidance from the Forum Team that a Move & Transfer is only possible where the account holder is the same named person.  So the basic answer is no **.

Also, consider what you are asking - would you want someone else to be in control of your email address and associated data?  The account holder can change the password and control the contents, or delete the whole address for all-time.  If the account holder moves again, you would risk the same scenario AGAIN.  If the account holder gives you the password to the primary address, you then have access to that person's billing, as they are a shared sign-on system!

Much better to bite the bullet now and get email addresses not linked to any ISP.  You only have to change once.  You would get better support from a dedicated email provider, better spam filtering, and likely better security.  VM email is a free addition to the broadband package, mostly to make people reluctant to give up services.

I suggest you get started on the transfer.  Notify anyone you need to keep in contact with. Turn off spam filtering on the VM webmail system, so that any misidentified mail does not get stuck in the spam folder.  Turn on autoforwarding to the new address.  Don't use the holiday notice - no need to give spammers a heads-up.  Backup anything you want to keep and then delete all data to be sure no one can hack in and access it.  When the 90 days are up, check the mailbox is deleted by using the resource at https://mailtester.com.  If still valid, come back and request a manual deletion.

Best wishes

** EDIT TO ADD:  My apologies, this guidance has been changed (again), see the following posts for clarification.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko i've been told by @Kev_B that is no longer the case and if both parties can pass security they can do the transfer
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcyberax.  I'll keep that in mind for future threads.

To the OP (Mike):  I adjust the first part of my answer to MAYBE.  My advice is the same, though.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Colem970a
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A quick update, Virgin have made an unbelievable mess of this.  Their “solution” was to disconnect my daughter’s account and set-up a new one (at her address) in my name ?????, both without getting our agreement. When I called to stop this they were then unable to reconnect my daughter because of the other account at that address (even though I’d stopped the order before activation).  

Two questions:

1) One Virgin rep said that he was pretty sure that ntlworld.com email addresses don’t expire anyway, its just the virginmedia ones.  Can anyone confirm this.

2) Does anyone have a complaint email address as they seem very reluctant to provide one. I have a complaint ref no.

thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

To answer your questions

1) All virginmedia email addresses so that being ntlworld. blueyonder. virgin.net and virginmedia will expire 90 days after the account is closed, some may hang around longer.

2) I am afraid that VM do not do support / complaints via email.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos