Menu
wellij81
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Motorola G5 Android unable to send e-mail, VM305 error

Hello,

My Motorola G5S Android phone is unable to send using my blueyonder e-mail account. It used to work, and I last sent one successfully on the 13th October, but today I can't. I also have a gmail account on my phone and that works fine, and receiving blueyonder account e-mails on my phone is fine.

I have a Windows 10 PC with Outlook and that is sending/receiving blueyonder e-mails fine. I have tried all possible outgoing settings on my phone, and when I test the settings I get "! Couldn't finish Can't connect to server. ([ 525 # 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305) ])".

I am currently using Require sign-in (using my blueyonder e-mail address and password), smtp server is smtp.virginmedia.com, port 465, security type SSL/TLS. Changing smtp server to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk makes no difference.

I have read all the posts about settings and spamhaus, my public IP is not listed on the CBL, but it is listed on the PBL:

"Ref: PBL1737502

86.0.0.0/13 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)"

That isn't my actual public IP, but it is what I get when I put my IP in, so maybe there is a more general policy blocking of the IP range used by Virgin Media?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Jon

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Motorola G5 Android unable to send e-mail, VM305 error

First off:

Ignore the PBL listing, that has nothing to do with your problem.  In fact all IP addresses that are allocated via DHCP SHOULD be on the PBL.

VM305 is a very specific error.  It means that the your IP address is listed on Spamhaus' CSS.  In order to get on this CSS Spamhaus themselves had multiple detection events of something on your IP address triggering their Spamtraps.

You need to figure out what.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to @ravenstar68 comments does this only happen when using a mobile data connection on your phone or does it happen when using your home WiFi as well.

I ask as you say you don't have any problems when sending from your home pc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
wellij81
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

Spot on, it had just occurred to me too. When I first posted I hadn't realised that the problem only occurs when I am on mobile data. If I connect the phone to wi-fi then I can send e-mails, so the public IP that I was checking was wrong. I connected my phone to mobile data and checked that IP on Spamhaus, but I get the same result, in that it is on the PBL but not on the SBL or the XBL, so why is it being blocked? My mobile data is with Giffgaff, which is the O2 network. Is there anything else I can check, or is it a problem for Giffgaff or O2?

Many thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As already mentioned the VM305 error code is very specific and only occurs if the IP address is on the SBL CSS blacklist.

If this is occurring on a mobile data connection then the trigger could be on any device sharing that IP address.  Getting Giffgaff to do anything about it is going to be difficult, I would guess.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

wellij81
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry but I am not sure I understand. I have looked at Spamhaus help and it says the CSS is a component of the SBL, so if my mobile IP is not listed in the SBL, does that mean it is not on the CSS? And if it is not on the CSS, where do I go from here?

I have just done a Malwarebytes scan of my phone and no malware was found.

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You are querying the public IP Address assigned to you by Virgin Media; where there is no issue. Make sure you are connected to your mobile network (giffgaff) and:

1. go to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer
  2. note the value of Your IP address is
  3. go to Spamhaus's Lookup https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  4. enter the IP Address noted in step 2 and select Lookup

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As @用心棒  has pointed out.  It's the public IP you use when you are using mobile data rather than Wifi you need to be looking at.

@Gareth_L  has been looking at another thread like this.  VM's security measure makes no sense when applied to mobile networks as 100's of users can share the same public IP address.  One user with an infected device can block mail sending for all the other users using that same address.

If it was happening on your home wifi on the other hand, it can be of some use as it would alert you to the fact that something unsavory is lurking on one of your home devices.  This is because unlike mobile IP address, when using Virgin Media HOME wifi

You currently have only one user using each public IPv4 address
That address is very sticky and rarely changes.

As you can send when on home Wifi, it's a safe bet, that it's not your mobile, or anything on your home network that is the issue here.

@Kev_B @ModTeam 

Someone needs to have a chat with the email and security teams to discuss what's going on here.

Tim

wellij81
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, it is my mobile data over the O2 network that is the problem. I used WhatismyIPAddress.com, which can query loads of blacklists. Spamhaus is fine, the problem is DNSBL (see screenshots below).

You finished by saying "Someone needs to have a chat with ...". Does that mean it is being escalated within Virgin Media, or do you think I need to contact Giffgaff/O2?

Regards,

Jon

O2 blacklist.JPGspfbl blacklist result.JPG

0 Kudos