cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile connection with an ntl email

Tony4Badgers
Tuning in

Colleagues,

While I can sign into my virgin email using the desktop PC and my laptop with my valid ....@ntlworld.com email address, but recently it stopped allowing me sign in using this on my Samsung Android mobile either via the phones virgin media app or via the search link. An enquiry to the fault line was not productive. It however works for the subsidiary ...@virginmedia.com e mail address. I thinkits a techy programming change that ignores older open accounts

If any of you still use a historical ..@ntlworld.com email address, can you please let me know if you have found any reason it doesn't now work on a mobile phone.

Thank You

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tony4Badgers
Tuning in

Well after a lot of messing about this evening I successfully logged into my virgin media account via the phone and then stepped into the email option from it. After 7 attempts to verify the device by password rather than biometric options(which I didn't understand at all: Bluetooth, USB and one other that I didn't recognise...someone might explain), the password was rejected 5 times and the picture verification by pictures of buses, crosswalks and traffic lights gave me 10 chances to see the low res pictures... but I got in WOOPEE!  I will try again while I am not using my domestic wifi but the virgin one my daughter has. As its bedtime I don't want to chance my luck again tonight, especially when I have been following your recommendations on the ntl email on the PC.

Well done community, thank you all for giving me the enthusiasm to experiment.  The solution was either invisible hidden characters or changes that required me to validate the phone via an indirect route.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't have an Ntlworld address however I do use a blueyonder email which is also a VM legacy domain.

I have no issues with blueyonder via my android phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tony4Badgers I have just noticed your other posts re this issue and see that you are getting a address not recognised message.  This is a bit of a worry as it suggests that the email address concerned is not part of your current VM broadband account.

When you log into your primary account and go to Update settings, account details, manage other My Virgin Media accounts is the Ntlworld email address concerned listed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Yes it is listed, the account is verified as my primary email address and I can use it on the PC and laptop but not the mobile this week.

Thanks for your prompt replyVirgin media.jpg

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's an odd one if it is recognised on the PC and laptop.

I know it is a bit of a cliche answer but does the same happen using a different browser on the mobile?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try removing any non-visible characters that may prefix and/or postfix email address. For example "richard.branson@ntlworld.com"  is okay but "richard.branson@ntlworld.com " is not due to trailing space character.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tony4Badgers wrote:

If any of you still use a historical ..@ntlworld.com email address, can you please let me know if you have found any reason it doesn't now work on a mobile phone.

I do have an @ntlworld email address although I rarely access it via my phone.

However, I have just tested it on my android phone and it is working fine. I signed in via the link to VM email on the main VM website and then tested it again by going via the app and that also worked fine.

I then tried to replicate the "Please enter a valid email address" error.message you are seeing. That seemed to suggest that as @用心棒 intimates  the error is saying that email address that has been entered does not meet the basic syntax rules for an email address.

For example, if the email address that is entered includes a blank space or has a special character such as . or _ at the start of the address it certainly generates that error message.

However, my tests showed that even if the email address has a non VM domain name it is not rejected at that stage but the screen simply moves on to ask for the password.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you coenoby. If the syntax rules for an email address prohibits the character "." then why does it not fault when the email addresses whether XXXXXXX.YYYY @ntlworld.com and XXXXXXX.YYYYNN@virginmedia.com is used on the PC or laptop and its only the former that fails through exactly the same internet accessed login screen on the Samsung android mobile. I suppose it could be the browser: Samsung Internet rather than Google or Edge.  Separately I have noticed the increase in the number of Apps and web pages that fail to work with Chrome but do work with Microsoft Edge, either as a Microsoft policy or lazy programming by developers not checking their work on all browsers.

But thanks for the effort in trying to snag the issue for me.

.Virgin media.jpg

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tony4Badgers wrote:

Thank you coenoby. If the syntax rules for an email address prohibits the character "." then why does it not fault when the email addresses whether XXXXXXX.YYYY @ntlworld.com and XXXXXXX.YYYYNN@virginmedia.com 

If you  look again at my post I never said that the syntax rules prohibit the use of the period "." character.

What I said was "if the email address that is entered includes a blank space or has a special character such as . or _ at the start of the address it certainly generates that error message."

Just for completeness, the syntax rules specifically prohibit the use of special characters at the end or the beginning of an email address. So my.email.address@ntlworld.com is a valid email address but  .myemailaddress@ntlworld.com is not

I never mentioned about the end of the address because it seems from the image you posted that there are no special characters showing. However, quite rightly you have redacted the first part of the email address so we don't know if there is a rogue . _ or " there. 😉

I hope that clarifies things.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Tony4Badgers
Tuning in

Well after a lot of messing about this evening I successfully logged into my virgin media account via the phone and then stepped into the email option from it. After 7 attempts to verify the device by password rather than biometric options(which I didn't understand at all: Bluetooth, USB and one other that I didn't recognise...someone might explain), the password was rejected 5 times and the picture verification by pictures of buses, crosswalks and traffic lights gave me 10 chances to see the low res pictures... but I got in WOOPEE!  I will try again while I am not using my domestic wifi but the virgin one my daughter has. As its bedtime I don't want to chance my luck again tonight, especially when I have been following your recommendations on the ntl email on the PC.

Well done community, thank you all for giving me the enthusiasm to experiment.  The solution was either invisible hidden characters or changes that required me to validate the phone via an indirect route.