Menu
Pauline744
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Missing sent emails

All the content of my 'sent objects' (sent emails) ' folder within my ntlworld Virgin media e mail account have 'disappeared'.at some time in the last 24 hours There were 4 years worth and I have not deleted any of them. Can anyone advise where they are / how to recover them and has my account been compromised ( I have changed the password as a precaution)

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing sent emails

Hi Pauline744,

Thanks for posting on the community for help with your email issue. Welcome 🙂

Sorry to hear that you've been unable to retrieve your sent emails, this is strange. Can you tell me if you are using our webpage to access your mailbox or are you using a 3rd party client?

Have you noticed any other changes at all to your mailbox or settings since this happened?

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Pauline744
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

Thanks for your reply. I am accessing the emails directly through the virgin media website.  All the contents of the 'inbox', 'drafts' and 'trash' folders remain unaffected. I have checked the 'trash' / 'deleted' items to see if the missing 'sent' emails are there for any reason and they are not. It is as though someone had just removed all of the contents of the 'sent objects' folder.

I refer to my sent emails regularly and I know they were all there earlier this week. I have checked on other devices (phone & Ipad) which can access the ntlworld email address and I see the same thing on all 3 devices.

There is a single 'sent' email left in the sent objects folder and this was a reply to the sender of a received email on Wednesday 12th August.( regular sender and trusted source)

Any assistance to find these would be greatly appreciated ( is there a virgin served 'back up' of emails in these circumstances) as some of these 'sent' objects are very important records of proof previous interactions with other organisations

Regards

Peter 

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM’s Acceptable use policy -

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy

particularly para 6.5 - makes it quite clear that that it is YOUR responsibility to back up the contents of your email account.

Whilst VM does have recovery procedures for data loss arising from hardware and software failures at total Email Service level, VM has never offered a recovery service for individual user emails which have been accidentally or deliberately deleted.

No major email provider will guarantee to recover lost or deleted individual email data. In a recovery situation their focus is to be able to recover the service following any major failure, from the system backups. The policy of various email providers about individual email data recovery varies from - “if it’s not in Trash it’s gone” - to “we will also look in some of our backup disc storage which we recycle every 7 days approx”.

Gmail - “When you delete a message, it stays in your Trash for 30 days. After that time, it will be permanently deleted from your account and can't be recovered.”

Yahoo - “If any of your emails have been deleted or gone missing in the last 7 days, you can submit a restore request and we’ll do everything we can to try to recover your lost messages.”

Microsoft Outlook.com - “When you accidentally delete an email message from your Outlook on the web email, you can recover those items if they're still in your Deleted Items folder, and in some cases, you can even recover items after the Deleted Items folder is emptied.”

VM’s policy is similar to Gmail – but the Trash seems to be emptied at variable intervals.

Over the years we have had a steady trickle of cases which have very similar symptoms to yours – namely emails which have mysteriously disappeared. The vast majority of these cases involve the use of Apple devices (iphones/ipads) and/or email clients (such as Outlook) all connected to VM Webmail and therefore each other via IMAP such that a single delete command on any one of these devices is replicated across all these synchronised devices.

Apple is adamant that all such incidents are attributable to “user error” of one sort or another and not to bugs in the apps. Various popular descriptions include - Fat finger syndrome, Bi-focal hit and miss, Doing email on the commuter train, etc.

Below you will find a couple of replies I gave earlier on this subject. Nothing significant has materialised on this front since then.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Inbox-emails-have-disappeared-without-trace/m-p/4147837#M...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Lost-email-folders/m-p/4158229#M186877

When emails/folders are deleted at device user level, then VM cannot retrieve them. They are gone for good.

0 Kudos