Menu
Bern62
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Missing sent emails

I need to produce some sent emails as evidence but they are missing from my sent folder.  There is an unexplainable gap between Sept 2017 and March 2019. I use Microsoft outlook on my PC mainly to manage my emails.  I have looked there and also on Virgin media but the emails are not to be found

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing sent emails

Sign into webmail and make sure all IMAP folder are subscribed to by:

• select and Settings
  • select ▸ Email and scroll to foot of web page
  • select Change IMAP subscription
  • select ▸ ☑ Email, expand all folders to confirm selection
  • select Save
  • press Ctrl + Shift + R to refresh webpage
  • search through newly subscribed folders, with particular attention to any archive folders, for missing sent email.

Between September 2017 and March 2019:

• were email messages read/sent on devices other than the one with Outlook
  • was the account in Outlook configured to use “IMAP and SMTP” or “POP and SMTP”

Check the Sent folder's archive options, see Archive older items automatically; if appropriate search storage for .pst files

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Bern62
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thanks for response

i have signed into Webmail and  done all that and refreshed but still emails are missing

emails were originally sent from outlook which is configured to use POP and SMTP”

i searched for the .pst files but got a warning saying too big and would cause damage to system if i tried to open

there is another email account that we have and that one is fine

Can you suggest anything else?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Bern62 wrote:

emails were originally sent from outlook which is configured to use POP and SMTP”

i searched for the .pst files but got a warning saying too big and would cause damage to system if i tried to open

In that case the sent emails should be on your device; they would not have been synchronised with the email server.

Hopefully other forum users with more experience of using Windows and Outlook will be able to explain the messages seen when searching for .pst files; I am stumped for the moment.

0 Kudos
Bern62
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

all my other sent items are there
there is 18 months worth missing
so it was working correctly and it is working correctly now and nothing has changed but some have just disappeared and we havent deleted them
i was hoping that virgin would be able to access the server and do a search?????
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

One option is to copy your pst file and use a pst viewer, on the copy, to see if the items can be located. http://www.ostpstviewer.com/free-outlook-viewer-open-pst.aspx

See here for the difference between the Free and Pro versions of the above software: http://www.ostpstviewer.com/comparison.aspx

If the items are there you could try repairing your Outlook pst file to see if the missing items can be recovered: 
https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86...

If the items cannot be found in your pst file then they are gone.

If you set up Outlook for POP access then your Sent items are held locally only, they will not have been synchronised to the server.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.