cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing email folder for my father's estate

Carolinetamblyn
Joining in

My father died this year and I have been dealing with his estate and probate . I created a folder to store all the emails containing important documents and have been saving them there since March 2023. Today i find all the emails have disappeared along with the whole folder.

This is very distressing so how can i recover these emails ?

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone from VM might be able to help you, but it will take 2 or 3 days. 
Please everyone, DO NOT keep important information in the mail system, whoever might be managing it, always take a local copy and a copy in the cloud.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where did you create this folder?  Was it on your laptop, for example?  I'm assuming you don't have any backups?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

100% agree @Tudor  re backups.  I dumped NTL/VM email a long time ago.  However, hopefully VM can do a restore of this users emails.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following in webmail:

• select > E-mail > Change IMAP subscriptions …
  • select to expand view of folder and repeat  until all folders are visible
  • select empty ballot boxes () until all are selected ()
  • select Save
  • select to return to mail and review folders shown; if any folders selected in previous steps are not shown press Ctrl + Shift + R to reload page

Regrettably if the missing folder and its content remain missing then it is unlikely to be recoverable; please wait for Forum team to confirm.

-- 
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Laptop, desktop or phone, if the folder was set up using webmail or on an IMAP configured client then the folder will be held on the VM mail servers and should be available for all devices.

Sadly past issues have shown that whether by accidental deletion by the user, or by issues with the operation/configuration of the VM mail servers, the sudden deletion of emails is not a new phenomenon. It's also the case that VM do not back up, and therefore cannot restore, users emails.

It's down to the user to back up their own emails, see this archived post from 2017 for a possible option: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

While an old post, I believe the software suggested is still available and is still a viable option.

Another option is to configure an email client to use the POP configuration and hold all emails on a local device, now considered an "outdated" protocol but still useful in some cases.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.