Menu
OliverX
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Missing email account

Neither my wife nor I can access her virgin.net email account. We have looked on VM webmail, but no sign of that account or any of the email to that address.

I have read about orphened accounts. But is there any way of recovering her emails. I am having all sorts of difficulty get appropriate support form VM help.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing email account

@OliverX wrote:

Neither my wife nor I can access her virgin.net email account. 

You could try sending an email from your current email address to the virgin.net address and see if you get a bounceback "Mail delivery failed" message which includes the line "550 5.1.1 <xxxxxxxx@virgin.net> User doesn't exist". I've put xxxxxxxxx in place of the username.

That would confirm  the account has been deleted.

" is there any way of recovering her emails."

Unfortunately, once an email account has been deleted it means all the emails stored in it have gone for good and VM staff will not be able to help you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OliverX
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good idea. I just tried that and it looks as though the missing email account has not been deleted.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@OliverX wrote:

I just tried that and it looks as though the missing email account has not been deleted.

That's not good news for you.😯 Unfortunately that's the end of the road.

Hopefully you and your wife are backing up the emails in the email accounts you are now using so that you won't be in the same position in the future if something happens to those accounts. 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
OliverX
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I thought it would be slightly good news that the account has NOT been deleted?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@OliverX wrote:

I thought it would be slightly good news that the account has NOT been deleted?

Sorry LOL, I am having a bad day, I must have been seeing things. I read it as "has been". My eyes must be going!

OK, do you currently have a VM Broadband account?

If not then VM staff cannot help you. The only thing they can do is to fully delete the account.

You could try resetting the password on the account by clicking on the Forgotten password link from this sign in page.  https://mail.virginmedia.com Enter the email address (username) and answer the security questions. It's a long shot but it might just work.

Sorry again for the confusion on my part. 😧

Coenoby

OliverX
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BRILLIANT!!!!  I went to the link you gave and got a new password - and it opened up the virgin.net account with all emails intact!

Thank you very very much for your help.

Oliver

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@OliverX wrote:

BRILLIANT!!!!  I went to the link you gave and got a new password - and it opened up the virgin.net account with all emails intact!

Thank you very very much for your help.

No,problem, I'm very pleased that it worked for you.

Just a word of warning though, don't rely on the account being there for ever. At some point Virgin Media will pick it up as an "orphaned" account which is not attached to an active broadband account and once they do, they seem to delete these accounts without warning.

Coenoby

0 Kudos