cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main EMail Account Blocked By VM?

ron_m
On our wavelength

Support,
On 20th July I was unable to access the IMAP WebMail Server and again today 21st July. I received the message "Your Virgin Media Mail account is unavailable" etc "Follow these steps unlock your Virgin Media Mail account". I have followed the instructions, changing my password three times without success! I also had to setup an App Password. My occupational pension provider CAPITA had their system hacked earlier this year and a very large quantity of customers had "all" their personal information stolen - my account included. I am obviously very worried that my main EMail account has been hacked. I can access my sub-EMail accounts though? If I go to mail.virginmedia.com I receive the same  message as above. Can VM please check this out? Will I have lost all my historic EMails again? Thanks.
Regards,

Ron.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ron_m 

Glad to hear you have got things sorted and that I was able to help. I obviously missed your original post here or I would have given you that advice directly. Sorry about that.

Thanks for posting with an update.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

ron_m
On our wavelength

I will add that I am not receiving any messages on my main EMail account address, but can send EMails to any of my sub accounts and any external EMail address. A PM would have to be to one of my sub-addresses as they are all aggregated in Outlook on my Desktop. Thanks.

ron_m
On our wavelength

In desperation around 3:15pm I rang 150 and spoke to a very helpful Support Operative who tried his best to sort out my problem. In the end he said he would have to raise a ticket for the Technical Crew to investigate and hopefully sort this out for me - but could take up to 72 hours. Thanks to Sheshraj for his time and patience!

ron_m
On our wavelength

Problem solved by Coenoby in his reply to another troubled User. The password that I should have been entering into the small Outlook box was the word-word-word-word App Password and not the one I use to sign into VM,com ? As clear as mud?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ron_m 

Glad to hear you have got things sorted and that I was able to help. I obviously missed your original post here or I would have given you that advice directly. Sorry about that.

Thanks for posting with an update.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

ron_m
On our wavelength

coenoby,

I am back in to my web mail server thankyou, but it looks trashed with multiple duplicated folders with no messages in them than I cannot delete - sort of 'ghost folders'. I am going to leave them and hope they disappear somehow. I still had problems signing back in with the picture verifications - motorcycle, fire hydrants, buses, etc. In some attempts the pictures looked poorly rendered with dotted outlines of the items? Again, I signed out, cleared everything with Ccleaner, powered off and powered up again! I'm not sure if I should load the VM App onto my PC and use that in future - any thought on that? Thanks again for your help.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ron_m wrote:

I'm not sure if I should load the VM App onto my PC and use that in future - any thought on that? Thanks again for your help.

Well I would offer two suggestions:

1) It is easier and generally more reliable to manage your VM email account using a third party email app/client rather than VM's webmail service. They are all easy to set up, you just have to enter your email address and password and they do the rest. (Bear in mind though that VM have recently required the use of a separate "Mail App" password so you may need to generate one - see here's @Graham_A 's advice on that  VM Mail App Password )

If you are using a Windows 10 or 11 device it will have the free Microsoft email app called Mail already installed. That's serviceable but not wonderful if you get my drift. 😉

For quite a while now I have been using a free email client called Thunderbird . That link takes you to their website where you can download it. It's easy to use and I find it great for my needs. It works with any email account.

2) A more radical option, but one I would strongly recommend, is that you should  consider switching to using a non VM email account. Why do I say that?

• VM stopped issuing email accounts to new customers last year. They do still support VM email accounts for existing VM broadband customers but the long term future of the VM email service is uncertain.
  • Posters on this forum regularly report problems using the VM webmail service. Also, the recent major problems with the whole VM email service and VM's subsequent recovery process do not engender confidence in it's reliability and security.
  • Remember that if / when you switch to using a different broadband provider you will lose access to your VM email accounts. VM say that 90 days after a broadband account is closed they will delete all email accounts linked to it. So moving to a non VM email account will provide a more future proof option than sticking with VM's email account.

So, taking all that into account, you might decide that it's better to set up a new non VM email account.

I know you will say that you have too many online accounts linked to your VM account and too many contacts you would need to advise.  (I say that because that's how most people respond 🙂)

However, I can say from experience that it's not as difficult as you imagine.  When I retired I decided to close down the (non VM) email account I had used for business and social contacts for 20 years.  I did it over a 3 or 4 month period and then left the old account open for a year with an auto forward to my new address.

There are lots of options available if you decide to use a non VM email account. Check these out  https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts All are more reliable than VM's email and most of them can be accessed by a web based (webmail) service.  on The other hand you can use them with an email app/client like Thunderbird or Mail if you prefer.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth but of course it's up to you to decide what's best for you.

Hope that's all useful

Coenoby