Menu
BriarTuck
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mails being forwarded with no active forwarder...

I have a Blueyonder mail account, and another personal email account with a different provider. I access both using a mail client, rather than webmail.

Some mails (not all) sent to my Blueyonder address don't appear in the Blueyonder Inbox, but instead appear in my personal account's Inbox, even though they were sent to the Blueyonder address.

Logging into my Blueyonder webmail, I can see those mails, and they're crossed out, as you'd expect if they'd been 'forwarded, then deleted'. But there is no forwarder set in the Blueyonder account.

I've had both accounts for 10+ years, and it's possible that I had a forwarder set up in the distant past when Virgin used the Gmail platform. Is it possible that this was 'inherited' on migration to the current platform, but doesn't show in the Virgin webmail settings?

Basically, I seem to have a selective 'ghost forwarder' which I can't control or switch off. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mails being forwarded with no active forwarder...

Webmail can be set to either move deleted email to the Trash folder (default action) or permanently remove them, there is no option to mark them as deleted, making it likely your email client :

• is forwarding the email
  • is set to mark deleted email as deleted; purge is required to permanently delete them

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BriarTuck
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that insight! There's certainly no forwarding activity going on with my mail client (Apple Mail).

Within the Virgin webmail interface, there's also no sign of any forwarders at all, yet the mails received in the 'wrong Inbox' by my mail client appear in their original Inbox crossed out (in VM webmail).

Is this normal for the VM webmail? Are there any other circumstances in which mails can appear crossed out?
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To troubleshoot the cause try the following process:

• disconnected all email client with access to the Blueyonder email account
  • sign into webmail using the Blueyonder account's authentication credentials
  • send yourself an email
  • receipt of the sent email into webmail's Inbox confirms that it is not responsible for the issues
  • in turn bring each email client back online, perform a check for new messages
    in webmail select 2019-02-22.jpeg
    if the message is redisplayed crossed out then the email client bought online is the cause
    otherwise take the email client offline and repeat the process with next email client
0 Kudos
BriarTuck
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes indeed, that's entirely logical. This process has in fact already started, and it's complex as there are 4 non-Virgin accounts involved, and one or more of them (it turns out) had automated interactions with the @blueyonder account while it was run on GMail, which the current Blueyonder mail platform may or may not have inherited successfully, since it appears to run on a subtly different engine. But your reply makes complete sense -- the crucial part of it was the revelation that 'mark as deleted' is an entirely different thing to 'move to Trash', and this unlocks the mystery. Thank you.