Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mail going into Sent folder

I'm experiencing problems whereby emails received from a couple of senders is going directly into my Sent items folder and not into my Inbox, hence I sometimes miss important emails.

Is there someway I can change settings so they only go to my Inbox. Its driving me mad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mail going into Sent folder

Go into webmail and click the menu icon (3 lines) then select settings and go into filter rules.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that ravenstar68.

I've gone into the email as you said, clicked the 3 lines and gone into create filter rule.

I have then gone into add action, then File into, I have then indicated Inbox and saved.

Should I now expect all incoming mail from this sender to go directly into the Inbox and not show in Sent Objects.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It would appear I wasn't clear enough.

There are only three reasons for a mail to end up in the Sent Folder.

1. It's a mail that was sent by you.
2. The mail has been moved into the sent folder by you or someone else.
3.  You or someone else has added a filter rule to move mail from a certain person into the Sent folder.

So what you needed to do was to have a look to see if someone has added a rule to do just that.

Note that your rule won't work - because the Filter rules only work on the Inbox itself.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

just before Christmas someone hacked my email account and I believe changed the rule whereby I would not see emails from this particular sender (My Bank) Hence they all went to my sent objects folder instead of my Inbox. This way they were able hide to some extent emails that mentioned what turned out to be illegal transactions.

I have now sorted and secured the account so they can no longer gain access. So what I now want is to undo what they did and make sure that this senders emails (My Bank) go straight to my Inbox.

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What Tim was saying was that incoming messages from your bank etc will go into the inbox unless there is an existing rule which checks for them and moves them, or you manually move them yourself. So what you need to do now that you have secured your email account is to check for any rules which the hacker has set up and delete them. You might find that there are additional rules to forward any 'interesting' emails to other addresses so that your email is still compromised.

Even though you have changed password and locked the hacker out, any rules they have set up will still be there and active, so it is really important that you check and take any appropriate action.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Here is VM's help page on this situation, there is more advice and instructions to help you check you have control of your data and systems.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

You should also consider a more secure service provider for future emails from banks and shopping sites.  Choose one not linked to your ISP and you'll only have to make the switch once.  And spread the word to friends and family!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'