Menu
alangigi
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Mail forwarding not working

I have been with VM 8 years. All that time I have successfully used mail forwarding via a web domain I own. Today I am still receiving emails but cannot send. Comes up with error message. Anyone else experienced this? VM support say it is not a problem with VM

Error message reads: Sender domain invalid

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 51
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mail forwarding not working

What error message are you seeing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
alangigi
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Error message reads

550 5.7.0 Sender domain invalid (VM424)

0 Kudos
martintsw
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 51
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

I'm hitting this problem also since today after it's been working for a few years.

I'm using the smtp.virginmedia.com SMTP server (instead of smtp.blueyonder.co.uk) ... but both work if I set my from address to the underlying @blueyonder.co.uk email address.

I vaguely remember ravenstar68 either helped me a few years ago and I ended up adding TXT v=spf1 and v-DMARC records.... so I'm currently looking at those.

I get the a similar error: An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.0 Sender Domain Invalid (VM424) <redacted>. Please check the message and try again.

except some ID chars are replaced by <redacted> ... I can provide them if needed.

There was a general outage this morning that was both experienced and noted on the VM service status page... so I'm wondering if they've made some changes.

My DNS records are currently

TXT @ "v=spf1 mx ip4:xx.xx.xx.xx/24 include:_smtprelay.virginmedia.com ~all"

TXT -dmarc "v=DMARC1; p=none; ruf=mailto:redacted@redacted.com; rua=mailto:redacted@redacted.com"

notice the xx.xx.xx.xx that I guess I put in for extra safety (There was previously something sending email from my @ email address... so that was extra safety... and I know it's fragile to include IP address... maybe that's what changed here... just trying to remind myself what that part is and how I find out what it should be now).

I though would reply now prior to me working it out because you said "Anyone else experienced this?" and maybe someone else will point me/us the right direction. (I'll try shortly to remove the ip4:xx.xx.xx.xx/24 part, obviously the xx's are numbers in real-life).

And thanks ravenstar68 for your help years ago. (but please anyone feel free to comment)

0 Kudos
acidfast
Tuning in
Message 5 of 51
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi alangigi,

I have a similar problem (see "Error message Sender Domain Invalid (VM424)")

@ravenstar68 is on my case as well.  Looks like a VM problem and there are similar issues going back 3-4 years according to the posts on here.  Let's hope someone @virginmedia spots the increasing number of posts.

@acidfast

0 Kudos
martintsw
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi @acidfast

Did you problem start today (eg a change to something) or never worked (eg SPF and/or DMARC records not setup) ?

regards

Martin

0 Kudos
acidfast
Tuning in
Message 7 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Hi @martintsw ,

Problems started this morning (29/06/21).  Email had been working fine and tried to send one urgently this morning and got a failure with

550 5.7.0 Sender Domain Invalid (VM424) y901lTQd6fBtHy901lDU7H

Nothing changed with my domains, DMARC etc.  Just started failing to send. (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

Tried ringing VM help and as usual got cut off 4 times and was told it was not their end.  Seems to be their stock answer looking at historic posts on here.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@martintsw 

I worked with @acidfast in the past, so I was able to retrieve his domain and then check the SPF and DMARC records myself.  I also used a dummy email from his domain to run a test here:

https://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html

The SPF record passed muster and gave me a pass when I used one of VM's email server IP's as a test.

@ModTeam - Can we get this escalated to the powers that be?

Tim

P.S VM's phone support know nothing about email.  I've had fun with them in the past when VM messed up their ACL lists so they effectively banned mobile networks from connecting.  The phrase "Maybe your mobile providers network was too busy" will always be stuck in my mind. 😂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Guys can you ALL PLEASE use helpful answer button ONLY when your problem is solved

Give Kudos to say thanks otherwise.

If the OP goes to the post options for the relevant post, they can remove the helpful answer tag.

And yes I know it's dumb, but that's the way the forum works.  Helpful answer is used to mark the solution.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@alangigi 

Would you be willing to drop me a PM with just your domain?  I'd like to dig your SPF and DMARC records myself if possible.

0 Kudos