Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

MacBook, IMAP, Outlook & Not Connected

Hi,

Since yesterday I have had the 'Not Connected to [my name]' in the bottom right of Outlook on the MAC. Today I decided to reset my account and start again as I can't put up with it.

It is telling me that my credentials are incorrect and to try again. My credentials are not incorrect in fact they are 100% correct. There is only one way I can spell my name and only one way I can spell my password - that is the correct way.

IMAP settings are also correct. Again I have checked and double checked and triple just to be sure.

I notice that there is never a fault on the vendor side it is always check 'my' details but how do I know there is not something Virgin have done on their side? My details are correct and these messages that it's them that are wrong right royally pee me off!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: MacBook, IMAP, Outlook & Not Connected

There are some email issues at present but they are mostly affecting pop3 and imap when receiving rather than sending, although, I did have some issues last evening with slow sending.

See this 'sticky' thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Intermittent-Email-Issue-POP3/m-p/4284151#M194013

However, this fault brings up cannot connect message rather than an invalid credentials message and is also intermittent.  Are you able to enable logging in Outlook to try and identify the actual VM error message being returned.  It should be in the form VMxxx

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/m-p/32371...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I can't get that far to enable fault logging. I removed my account from Outlook to add it again. All I get now is 

'Unable to sign in. Check your credentials and try again' when trying to set up my account.

Its the set up your email option in Outlook, I can't post a picture but

Account Type - IMAP

Email address - is correct

Username - is correct

Password - is correct

Incoming server IMAP.virginmedia.com 993

Outgoing Server smtp.virginmedia.com 465

Spins for a couple of seconds and then 'Unable to sign in. Check your credentials and try again'

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Okay so it finally added my account back (see, I knew all the settings were correct despite it saying I had to check my credentials, like somehow it was me at fault) and it downloaded all my emails.

I've come back literally five minutes later and its saying not connected again, so back to square one.

0 Kudos