Menu
oldcurmudgeon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

MULTIPLE E MAIL ADDRESSES CAUSING PROBLEMS

I am main account holder:

I have 8 Virginmedia, and 1 Blueyonder E mail addresses.

These are:

one Primary E Mail address

three secondary account addresses, (family members use)

five additional addresses.

I use Norton password Manager, where all are listed with their own unique passwords.

I am finding that; despite rechecking all are listed separately, I have no control over which address actually opens.

This is a problem of many months standing. Unfortunately, Neither Norton Support nor Virginmedia techies have ever understood or sorted it.

Thanks for reading

OC

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: MULTIPLE E MAIL ADDRESSES CAUSING PROBLEMS

@oldcurmudgeon wrote:

I am finding that; despite rechecking all are listed separately, I have no control over which address actually opens.

This is a problem of many months standing. Unfortunately, Neither Norton Support nor Virginmedia techies have ever understood or sorted it.

To be honest I am not sure I fully understand either but I have an idea what may be happening.

You don't actually say so but I assume that you are accessing your Virgin Media Accounts via VM Webmail. If that is correct the first thing that comes to mind is you may be falling foul of a side effect of the changes VM made to the sign in process a while ago.

These days if you close down the VM Webmail service simply by closing your browser or the browser tab, the changes VM have made mean that the next time you try to sign into VM Webmail the VM system remembers that you are still signed on. As a result it will take you straight back into the email account you were using last time without you even having to enter your email address or password.

That is not a problem if you only have one VM email address.  However, if you have say a Virgin Media address and a Blueyonder address I can see that could cause confusion. For example if you were last signed into your Virgin Media address that is where you will return to next time.  Obviously that is a problem if you actually wanted to access your Blueyonder account!

The solution is that you have to remember to actually sign out of the email account each time you have finished using it, not just close the browser tab. See below how to do that:

1) click on the symbol on the top right of the screen and then 2) click on "Sign out" from the drop down menu as per the screenshot below

sign out.png

Once you have correctly signed out you can go back to the sign in page  https://mail.virginmedia.com  and this time you will be prompted to enter the email address and password. You should now be able to sign in to which ever of your email accounts you wish to access.

So in future if you ever do forget to sign out correctly and subsequently find you are being taken into the wrong email account you can follow the above steps to sign out of that account and then sign back in to the account you wish to access.

I hope that makes sense.  However, if that is not the answer I am not sure what is. 😊

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

oldcurmudgeon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Coenoby., Firstly thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my query, and doing so in such a clear and structured way.

It must be said that even before trying your system, which is quite logical once it is properly explained, you have my appreciation as suggesting such an uncomplicated path for an old duffer like me.

Here goes!             I will let you know how it works out.

Regards

0 Kudos
oldcurmudgeon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Coenoby, CONGRATULATIONS!  you have just earned a gold medal.

Not really, but if it were within my power, I would instantly offer you the post of President. Sadly it is not.

How appropriate is that name though!.

A Trump is a name for a discharge of foul and toxic hot air that is emitted by an A******* 

Kind regards

OC

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@oldcurmudgeon wrote:

Hello again Coenoby, CONGRATULATIONS!  you have just earned a gold medal.

Not really, but if it were within my power, I would instantly offer you the post of President.

Thank you very much for those  kind words. Actually I think I qualify as an old duffer these days so I'm glad I could help a fellow team mate. 😊

I appreciate your comment that I explained things "in such a clear and structured way." That's always my aim.

Actually, I have to say well done to you for the way you have used the forum as first timer. You described the problem in fair detail, obviously read my post, then tried my suggestion and took the trouble to come back to tell us it worked. Not everyone does all those things. 😕

If you come up against another issue with your email account please post again before you try the helplines. This forum has many experienced users who can offer good advice.

All the best and stay safe 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
oldcurmudgeon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, you fair made me blush. Ha-ha.
Stay safe yourself.
My Wife and I are both registered with HMG as extremely vulnerable, and have not left the house once, except for the dreaded hospital and Surgery procedures and tests.
Well done all those who volunteer and/or maintain our vital services,
Kind regards
OC
0 Kudos