Menu
fudagee
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

MS Outlook 0x800CCC0E

Over the last week or so, my viginmedia email address won't send / receive / sync when I use MS Outlook.  My older blueyonder email address works as it should.

I get the following warning in MS Outlook:

"Task 'Syncronizing subscribed folders for ******@virginmedia.com' reported error (0x800CCC0E) ; Outlook cannot syncronize subscribed folders for *****@virginmedia.com.  Error: Cannot connect to the server.  If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP)."

I've checked the settings for incomng / outgoing and they are set as they should be as follows:

imap.virginmedia.com

SSL

smtp.virginmedia.com

SSL

I've searched the internet and tried other suggested server / ports to no avail.

This is also happening with a family members virginmedia email in outlook, so I am not alone

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

MA

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: MS Outlook 0x800CCC0E

Hi fudagee,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

Just to confirm are you able to sign into the email address on other email login's? Such as Thunderbird, etc

Also are the addresses .net email addresses?

^Martin

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think we might go a little further with this one to get the diagnostic information we need. I also think it fair to say that the addresses concerned are virginmedia.com addresses given the wording of the error message which specifically refer to @VirginMedia.com addresses.

As is usual with error messages like this (this one has a specific meaning - failed to connect to server) it is important to see the what VM 3xx or 4xx codes, if any, the server is returning to the e-mail program when this happens. Outlook usually works reliably with VM e-mail servers. We only need to know what codes are being returned - nothing else.

This is a handly reference source for the meaning of these codes:

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sendreceiveerrors.htm#errorcodes

My advice would be to follow the guidance here, turn on Outlook logging so we can see the VM error code:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

There is absolutely no point in testing with another e-mail client. They all work in the same way and send the same data. The result if one fails is that they will all fail.

It would be useful to know if the accounts can be accessed via VM web mail. Could the OP please test at mail2.virginmedia.com

And to be on the safe side could the OP confirm that these addresses are properly linked to a live paid-for VM broadband account (I imagine they are but we should always ask).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

fudagee
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

Both mys and my father's email are virginmedia.com addresses.

Both I and my father can and are receiving emails on our iphones email apps and can access emails accounts logging on via the VM webmail site. However are still receiving the same error when trying to access / update using MS outlook which has worked fine until a week or so ago.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi fudagee, can you confirm what HowardML has asked? ^Chris 

0 Kudos
fudagee
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

I've been trying what Howard asked...

Yes both accounts are linked to 2 fully paid full VM package accounts (never been in arrears, etc), so no issues there.

I've tried to follow the guide on the link that Howard posted to generate logging and to create an OPMlog which it as but nothing within said file look like the example on the post linked to. The example shows lines with "smtp" whereas all mine show "POP3".

Also despite it being virginmedia.com address I and my father are having trouble accessing, 99% of the text relates to my blueyonder.co.uk account which as per my original post works ok.

Any ideas how to get the information from the outlook log that may help resolve my issues?

Of note, in relation to the fact both my father and I are having the same problem, we are in separate houses, using separate laptops / outlook accounts and different (VM) broadband networks.

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't worry about the rest of the log - just look for the line which ends with a VM3xx or VM4xx code like this (made up) VM356 or VM478. Report that code. And thanks for the res of the info. BUt without those codes - if they are there - we are not going to make rapid progress.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
fudagee
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard,

There are no VM3## or VM4## codes in the log file that was created, having followed the "how to" link you directed me to.  I've looked at all the other files in the Outlook Logging folder that have been created / updated today when running MS Outlook and there's no VM codes in any of the files.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think I should I retire gracefully from this one. I know the basics of Outlook and diagnostics reasonably well but this one exceeds my abilities. I looked back on the last one of these I did. It resulted in an extensive exchange of diagnostic information but in the end it was resolved when it was revealed that someone had not matched the passwords between Outlook and My Virginmedia for the accounts in question. 

One of the VIPs is very experienced in this area and so I'm going to ask him to take a look, On the assumption that he has the time. @ravenstar68 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@fudagee wrote:
I've tried to follow the guide on the link that Howard posted to generate logging and to create an OPMlog which it as but nothing within said file look like the example on the post linked to. The example shows lines with "smtp" whereas all mine show "POP3".

Any ideas how to get the information from the outlook log that may help resolve my issues?

The "POP3" simply means that you are looking at incoming messages. If you follow the instructions to turn on logging and the try to send an email message you should then get a series of SMTP entries in the log.

Also, you say:

"despite it being virginmedia.com address I and my father are having trouble accessing, 99% of the text relates to my blueyonder.co.uk account which as per my original post works ok."

Outlook simply logs all emails that go through. Even if you were also sending emails from non Virgin Media addresses they would also be logged.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer